• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business name. need help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ukyo5813

What is the name of your state?Oregon
I am starting an online wine retail business called "Mak Wine Company". I have registered in state of Oregon and summitted all application(s) and or permit required under "Mak WIne Company". Also reserved domain address www.makwine.com.
However, I recently found out there is "Mak Winery" in Australia producing wines labled as "Mak". Their wines are widely distributed in USA. Even, my distributor carries their wines.

Would I be able to operate my online wine retail (without getting sued) with business name and domain address unchanged?

thanks

If the state of Oregon allowed you to register a business by that name, then you are entitled to call your business that IN OREGON. The Australian company probably can't do anything about that. As far as the web goes, you got the domain name...it is possible that the Ausies might try to take it from you at some point in the future (although technically, your domain name is www.makwine.com.us whereas they would be www.makwine.com.au). I'd suggest not worrying about it right away...just put a big disclaimer on your opening page saying you're not affliliated with the Aussie's in any way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">