• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusal Collection Situation - Small Claims Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sings2

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I recently (last month) received a judgement against an ex-housemate for $2200+ -- The difficult situation with collection is that there is a restraining order against him that doesn't expire until July 2006 -- Even though I took out the restraining order I am afraid of "breaching" it in order to collect the funds due -- how do I go about collections? I do know where he is staying, I know he is working but do not know where and don't want to be accused of "stalking" to find out. What do I do?

:confused:

seniorjudge

Yes, you do have an unusual situation.

You can either go ahead through the small claims procedures and garnish the wages, etc. OR you can sell your judgment to one of those collections companys. If the guy is working, the judgment may actually be worth something.

Of course, he will quit the second his wages are garnished.

In any event, as long as you do not contact him in any way, then you should be okay on your restraining order.

sings2

Thanks and One More Question ...

Missouri

In addition, when he moved out he left a lot of his belongings behind - I had some of them delivered to him but the rest have been left here for over two months now -- it's taking up 1/2 of my garage and one of the bedrooms (which I would like to re-rent to a college student) -- When I saw him at court I asked the liason to tell him to make arrangements to have someone pick up his things. THAT was 6 weeks ago and still nothing. His mother and other family members live here in town and I have spoken with his mother about this (also six weeks ago) -- nothing has been done. How long do I have to wait before I can simply dispense with his things that have been left here?

sings2

...also forgot to mention...

Sorry for the scattered messages -- this whole thing has me flustered. I received an email asking me how old this person was -- he is 25 (going on 15) -- anyway, CAN YOU REFER ME TO AN AGENCY THAT BUYS JUDGMENTS FOR COLLECTIONS FROM INDIVIDUALS??? It would be much appreciated..

Thank you for your time...

-Single mom just trying to get by.

seniorjudge

sings2 said:
Sorry for the scattered messages -- this whole thing has me flustered. I received an email asking me how old this person was -- he is 25 (going on 15) -- anyway, CAN YOU REFER ME TO AN AGENCY THAT BUYS JUDGMENTS FOR COLLECTIONS FROM INDIVIDUALS??? It would be much appreciated..

Thank you for your time...

-Single mom just trying to get by.
I don't know of any such agencies.

Go to the court clerk where you got your judgment and tell her you want to levy and execute against all that stuff and sell it at a garage sale.

Levy and execute: those are the two magic words you need to tell the clerk.

sings2

THANK YOU SENIOR JUDGE>..

I'll do that this week...although I have to admit that I simply hate doing garage sales around here -not much of a response...I'll do what I have to. I had wanted to donate to Katrina victims but then I would have to still give him credit for value I guess -- what a mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">