• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for my Medical History

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jotatita

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I was hired by a firm in the middle of August. Since beginning, I have been doing an outstanding job. They reaffirmed that on many occasions I was doing an excellent job. However, after a week or so working with them I had to fill out an emergency contact form. Now here is the catch - Two years ago I had a brain tumor removed and began to have seizures thereafter. My doctors put me on a medication to treat the seizures and I have been seizure free for more than a year. - After receiving the form I asked my doctor what I should do and he said that I should put him down as one of the emergency contacts. I then went to one of the heads of the firm and explained why I put a doctor down (along with my wife) on the form.

This morning I went into work and that head of the firm asked to see me. She informed me that she felt as if I deceived them by not being upfront with my medical history. If I had told them upfront, she could have made her hiring decision based on all the facts rather than me hiding my condition.

I didn't inform them because my medical history in no way shape or form would have prevented me from doing the job I was being hired to do. Now she says as a result of my deception my direct boss is always worried about me and that prevents him from doing his job.

I feel that I have been discriminated against based on my medical history and condition. Is there any recourse? I know I am angry right now but I am just so outraged that she said my performance was 200% but she couldn't get over me not telling them during the hiring process.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your boss may not legally take your medical history into consideration when making the hiring decision and you had no obligation to tell them anything about it until or unless you needed an accomodation to do your job. In my opinion, based on the facts you have presented,your employer very well may have violated the ADA and you should contact the EEOC and file a complaint.

Next time, just put the doctor down and don't explain why. It's none of their business why you put down who you put down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">