• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, Costco made a mistake and they want me to pay!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexster

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Hi everyone. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a computer system from Costco. When I went to the cashier, she couldn't find the purchase number to ring up the sale. But she said she knew exactly how much it was - $1499. Of course when I heard the price, I was pleasantly surprised because it was cheaper than the listed price. At this point, she needed a supervisor to key in the code. After the supervisor came to try his had at finding the code (because they also have a binder with all the products and codes) - the cashier said to him she knew the price was $1499 because she had rung up the same computer earlier that day. So someone else bought a computer at that price. Because she said that someone else had purchased the same computer that day for that price, I didn't correct her because I didn't know whether the item was on sale or not. When I went to Costco the day before, they had an inventory of 5. When I came back the next day, they only had one left. So I thought, yeah maybe it is on sale. Let them check.

During this time, a whole slew of Costco people surrounded me and a couple them tried to persuade me to upgrade to the executive membership. Talk about pressure. At this time, my wife wanders in to find out what was taking so long. I told her they don't have a code to ring up the price. So she says outloud to them - oh it's about $2000.

Ok, so the cashier says one price but of course they can't go by what the cashier says. So another Costco associate has to come and visibly see the computer, runs back to the computer aisle, and radios back the item number with the same price. The supervisor punches in the code and the amount comes to $1499. Now you have 3 people confirming the price. Sweet! I thought maybe the computer was on sale.

Ok, so Sunday I was at another Costco (this one had a gasoline station and rotisserie). While checking out, they delayed me because something was wrong with my card. It seems that the other Costco had put a block on my card with a note to notify me to come back to the other Costco. In the note, it says that the computer I paid for was mispriced and I had to go back and pay the difference. I was told that there will be a block on my card until this is remedied.

I am bit peeved with the whole situation. It was not my fault that people at Costco screwed up with the price - and it wasn't just one Costco person - it was several because they had one person go over and check the item number to ring into the system, and they also required a supervisor to approve. I have never experience a situation where a vendor made a mistake, and was able to force the customer to pay up the difference after the sale has been completed. What can I do? Can Costco force me to pay for their mistake? What are my legal rights as a consumer?

Any advice and feedback will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

JETX

Lexster said:
It was not my fault that people at Costco screwed up with the price - and it wasn't just one Costco person - it was several because they had one person go over and check the item number to ring into the system, and they also required a supervisor to approve.
Okay. But both YOU and your wife knew the price they had was wrong when you made the purchase.

What can I do?
Pretty simple.
1) You can refuse to pay and keep the item, or
2) You can be a responsible adult and work with them to negotiate some (hopeful) resolution.

Can Costco force me to pay for their mistake?
Do you want to bet that Costco has a different version than the one you recited?? Simple answer.... no, they can't force you to correct their mistake. However, they can bar you from their store and put a 'block' on THEIR card.

What are my legal rights as a consumer?
See above.

Lexster

Thanks!

I agree, I do have choices. It's up to me on what I decide to do. Costco can't force me to do anything.

And of course, Costco also has the final decision on what they wish to do, be it taking responsibility for their own mistake or cancelling my membership.

Either way, both sides will have to accept the other's final decision. And I am fine with losing my membership.

JETX

Lexster said:
And I am fine with losing my membership.
I hope you will feel that way when they turn you in to a collection agency... and or consider legal action..... either of which they can certainly do.

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
I hope you will feel that way when they turn you in to a collection agency... and or consider legal action..... either of which they can certainly do.
Do you REALLY think he will?

Lexster

JETX said:
Let them try. I already found out my rights from the AG and legal friends. I have everything ready and properly documented. This is pretty straight forward so I am not worried about it anymore. If they turn me into a collections agency, I will send a copy of my receipt and provide a copy of my bank statement showing the transaction. Then I and my lawyers will sue Costco and send a formal letter of complaint to the Attorney General's office.

Again, they can do what they want to do but they cannot force me to do anything. If they decide to pursue matters legally, I will comply and meet them in court. I have nothing to fear.

BelizeBreeze

Lexster said:
Let them try. I already found out my rights from the AG and legal friends. I have everything ready and properly documented. This is pretty straight forward so I am not worried about it anymore. If they turn me into a collections agency, I will send a copy of my receipt and provide a copy of my bank statement showing the transaction. Then I and my lawyers will sue Costco and send a formal letter of complaint to the Attorney General's office.

Again, they can do what they want to do but they cannot force me to do anything. If they decide to pursue matters legally, I will comply and meet them in court. I have nothing to fear.
So you are a punk. That's nice to know.
You have enough for an attorney to save a few dollars in pocket change and yet you won't do the right thing.

Yep, a punk.
:rolleyes:

Lexster

BelizeBreeze said:
So you are a punk. That's nice to know.
You have enough for an attorney to save a few dollars in pocket change and yet you won't do the right thing.

Yep, a punk.
:rolleyes:
How mature. Call me what you want for knowing my rights. If that's the only thing you can do, frankly I don't care. Name calling reflects the level of intelligence of the person, and I can tell you're not at my level.

Go ahead and blow some more hot air at me and call me all the names you want. It will be quite amusing, and since these posts stay for a long time I would love to bring people here to see your comments. ;)

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Lexster said:
How mature. Call me what you want for knowing my rights. If that's the only thing you can do, frankly I don't care. Name calling reflects the level of intelligence of the person, and I can tell you're not at my level.

Go ahead and blow some more hot air at me and call me all the names you want. It will be quite amusing, and since these posts stay for a long time I would love to bring people here to see your comments. ;)
The people who know me here are the only ones I care about.

And you're still a punk.

But then, life has a way of evening out. Just remember that when your car gets stolen or you forget your wallet somewhere and it's returned without the cash. Or your house is broken into.

yep, I love life balance. :D PUNK!

BelizeBreeze

Oh, and by the way, You're also a liar.

The california Attorney General's office does NOT give legal advice.

Now, how would I know that? ???

Go ahead and wonder PUNK! :rolleyes:

Lexster

BelizeBreeze said:
The people who know me here are the only ones I care about.

And you're still a punk.

But then, life has a way of evening out. Just remember that when your car gets stolen or you forget your wallet somewhere and it's returned without the cash. Or your house is broken into.

yep, I love life balance. :D PUNK!
Yeah, yeah, yeah... don't forget to say a pox upon your house either. Go on and keep venting - it's not going to change anything. :)

There is nothing you can say or do that will offend me because you are so far beneath me. But I must say, I do quite enjoy your rantings. You do a great job making a spectacle of yourself. I am sure everyone else will have giggle after they read your silly posts.

It's a free world - have fun blowing off more hot air, because that's all it really is.

And by the way, it's Know-it-all Punk. :D

Lexster

BelizeBreeze said:
Oh, and by the way, You're also a liar.

The california Attorney General's office does NOT give legal advice.

Now, how would I know that? ???

Go ahead and wonder PUNK! :rolleyes:
True, but they did refer me to a consumer advocate bureau as well as provide me links to research documents, policies and laws that protect consumers. When I explained my circumstances, the response they provided me with is that I can send a formal letter of complaint to the AG.

Call me what you want. But I still received help from the AG.

Go ahead and come back with something else. It still is not going to change anything. :D

different group same answer

Didn't like the answers you got on the money board? Looks like you got told the same thing here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">