• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can This Be Done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcruz

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a friend that works, well worked for a christian based pre-school,
she told me today her boss pulled her aside and told her she found out
she is living with her boyfriend and told her either she moves out or her boyfriend or she'll lose her job, but my friend left. Does she have the right to sue?

BelizeBreeze

rcruz said:
same question I asked her but her bf insisted she could sue.
Then tell her to make sure her boyfriend has his bar card and is licensed to practice law in their state because he's an idiot.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To put it bluntly, you can get fired for any reason that does not specifically violate the law. The boss may have been poking her nose where it doesn't belong but that is not illegal. Your friend has no basis to sue and the boyfriend doesn't know what he's talking about.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
To put it bluntly, you can get fired for any reason that does not specifically violate the law. The boss may have been poking her nose where it doesn't belong but that is not illegal. Your friend has no basis to sue and the boyfriend doesn't know what he's talking about.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :D

Welcome to the dark side dear ;)

eerelations

Always a silver lining

Maybe now that she knows how dumb her BF is, she'll dump him and then her ex-employer will let her come back to work... :)

rcruz

lol probably, thx guys.

now i got a question that im just curious about, can an employer have you I wanna say "on and off FT"?

pattytx

huh? If you mean, can the employer have you work 40 hours one week and 20 the next? Yes, they legally can.

However, if the employee is exempt and is called off (told not to come to work because of work requirements), they would still have to pay the employee their full weekly salary. If the employee is nonexempt (hourly), they would only have to pay what hours were worked.

Plus, if the employee has benefits that are based on Full-time status, a long-term practice of this could effect their benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, the employer can change your hours as needed. Unless you have a bona fide contract that says otherwise, there is nothing illegal about scheduling you for 40 hours for two months and then 20-25 hours for the next five.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">