• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DJ didn't show at Wedding - Can I sue him?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJLess

What is the name of your state? California

I hired a DJ and even signed a contract with him. Three days before the wedding, my wife (now) called to confirm that he'll be here and if he could play the CD we chose for her to walk to. He confirmed. The day of the wedding, he was suppossed to be here at 5:00 p.m. I called him at 5:30 and he said that he couldn't make it because he was doing a Salsa party. He did say that he had another guy coming. 7:00 a clock comes and nobody's here. About 9:00 pm. somebody saying that he was the replacements mother and that her son was supposed to DJ, but had to go to the hospital because of an Asthma attack.

Can I sue this guy? I've never wanted to sue anybody, but this is unacceptable!!! If so, how much can I sue him for in small claims and what is his liablilty?

Thank You,
Robert

JETX

DJLess said:
Can I sue this guy?
Of course you can sue him. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.

If so, how much can I sue him for in small claims
You can sue him for up to the courts limit, which is $5000 in California.

and what is his liablilty?
If you can prove your claim of contract, payment and his breach, at least the amount you paid. If you can prove additional damages.... the court could also include them.

DJLess

Well thanks JETX. I have never sued anybody before and I don't know if people sue for this type of thing, or will the judge just laugh at me expect me to deal with it.

matti422

One thing is unclear, though, and it's highly relevant to your ability to win any suit: did you pay the DJ? You can likely only recover any amount you lost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">