• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance FBI Expunged Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlawson2

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am considering placing an application with a private company in which a government security clearance will be required. I will be required to complete a Standard Form 85P (Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions) as part of the application process.

Section 20 of this questionnaire asks “in the last 7 years, have you been arrested for, charged with or convicted of any offense”. My correct answer is “no” as I had a misdemeanor conviction (which occurred 20+ years ago) expunged in state court with the expungement order sent to the FBI. I see no place on the 85P application to advise or note this. I can only assume that it is not relevant nor will it be considered in this application since it is over 7 years old.

(1) Will the government investigator go beyond 7 years in an 85P investigation to discover a 20+ year old misdemeanor which was expunged?
(2) If found, can the expunged misdemeanor be considered or used against me in this application since it occurred over 7 years ago?
(3) Will the investigator notify the private company (in which I am applying) the existence of an expunged misdemeanor conviction 20+ years old or will he advise them “no FBI criminal record found” or “no criminal record found within 7 years”?

This expunged misdemeanor conviction was the result of an isolated property damage related incident which occurred 20+ years ago as a teenager and has no bearing on trust or national security. I have not even received a parking ticket since this incident.

Thank you for your information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since no one here has a crystal ball, the answer to all three of your questions is, we don't know.

How can we know what the investigator WILL do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">