• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired Because of Race

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

odyssey1517

What is the name of your state? Florida.
:confused: Thrusday that just passed I was fired from my job of 3 weeks because my boss told me that I did not "fit in to their office". I was shocked, I didn't know how to take it at first, but then I realized that I was the only black worker in the office, and that was probably what she meant. It must have been due to my skin color, because a couple of days before that she told me I was doing wonderful and she was getting a lot of good remarks from her patients about me. Is this discrimination or am I being carzy. There are other factors involved that I haven't mentioned, it would take to long, but isn't that discrimination to fire someone because they don't "fit in". :mad:

Sockeye

It is legal to fire someone if the don't "fit in", but not legal if they fire you because you are of a different race.

Since there was other factors it's best they be shared to get a stronger reply.

BelizeBreeze

odyssey1517 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida.
:confused: Thrusday that just passed I was fired from my job of 3 weeks because my boss told me that I did not "fit in to their office". I was shocked, I didn't know how to take it at first, but then I realized that I was the only black worker in the office, and that was probably what she meant.
Probably what she meant does not rise to the level of a basis for legal action
It must have been due to my skin color, because a couple of days before that she told me I was doing wonderful and she was getting a lot of good remarks from her patients about me.
Again, that is NOT proof of race discrimination.
Is this discrimination or am I being carzy.
Crazy no. Using race as the only factor because that's what you have yes.
There are other factors involved that I haven't mentioned, it would take to long, but isn't that discrimination to fire someone because they don't "fit in". :mad:
Nope, not at all. It is also not illegal to fire someone because they are ugly, have a fat ass or because they DO fit in.

You have yet to state any reason based in fact for an illegal termination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's what I would do in your shoes.

File for unemployment. While the company may not contest, if they do, they will have to provide additional information as to why you were not a good fit. See if you can learn more that way.

While I don't think you have proof of racial discrimination by a long shot, I do think that in the absence of any additional information as to why you were a poor fit, you do have cause to at least run the question by the EEOC or an employment attorney.

mycarlb

had a similar experience

When I was 19, I was fired from a job as a receptionist at a health club because I didn't "fit the mold"... I was about 20 pounds overweight... I felt like crap, but they were within their right to do so. As a fitness center, they could hire anyone that was in their eyes "fit"...I don't know what the other reasons were that they fired you, but I'm sure they are gonna use more than the race card...

I also was told to fire someone in my call center because she was a CSR for a stock transfer agent, and was called a stupid "ni@@@", she hung up on the lady, and that lady happened to be on the board of directors for the stock company we were representing. She demanded we terminate this girl because she hung up on her, and my superiors tried to force me to to it, since I am quality assurance manager... I refused because in my line of work, a rep is within their right to terminate any call because of abusive behavior on the other end. They came up with some "legal" right to fire her, gave her a 3 month severence package, and kept her insurance for 3 months. I felt aweful... but big companies can get through the red tape when they want someone gone.

Good luck!!! My advice would be to get a new job, where you are appreciated for your work, not what you look like...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">