• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tazzrobbie

What is the name of your state? OHIO
MY EMPLOYER OPERATES ON A 7 POINT ATTENDENCE RULE.
AFTER RECEIVING 7 POINTS FOR ATTENDENCE YOUR TERMINATED.
I CURRENTLY HAVE 6,MY QUESTION IS: I HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION AND IT WILL REQUIRE ME TO HAVE SURGERY,AND BE OFF FOR SEVERAL WEEKS.I WENT TO BOTH MY IMMEDIATE SUPERVISER AS WELL AS THE PLANT MANAGER ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, AND BOTH TOLD ME I WOULD BE TERMINATED IF I MISSED ANY DAYS AS A RESULT OF THIS SITUATION IS THIS LEGAL? PLAESE ADVISE ASAP.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How long have you worked for this employer?
How many employees does your employer have within 75 miles of your location?
In the last 12 months, have you worked a minimum of 1,250 hours?
How much time, total, have you missed with the six points you already have?

tazzrobbie

dear cbg
i have been employed with this employer full time for 8 months.
you receive one point for every day missed so i have a total of 6 days off.
no i don't beleive i have 1200 hour in yet since i work 40 hour weeks normally with a few,possible 6-8 saturdays. i'm mainly concerned with if they can legally deny me medical attention by holding termination over my head even though i'd have a doctors excuss to be absent during my recovery? thanks a ton.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because you have not yet worked for the company for 12 months and have not yet worked 1,250 hours, you are not eligible for any protected medical leave at the Federal level and Ohio does not offer any state-mandated medical leave. That being the case, it WILL be legal for your employer to term you for another absence, regardless of whether it is for medical reasons or not.

Your employer is not denying you medical attention. Whether you seek medical attention or not is your own choice. However, in the circumstances you describe, the employer is not required to hold your job for you no matter how many doctor's excuses you provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">