• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

we had the deal first

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rvbuyer

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My wife & I found an RV at a local dealership that we were interested in, but was at the upper limits of our budget. We looked at the RV twice and had our current motorhome appraised by the dealership for it's trade-in value. After pondering whether we could afford the payments we contacted the dealership and had a purchase order drawn up and faxed to our bank for finance approval. At that time, we were asked for a deposit on the RV to "hold" it - since we were under the impression that the deposit was non-refundable and we weren't sure whether financing would be approved, we did not make a deposit.

A couple of days later, I learned that our financing had been approved so my wife, family & I drove to the dealership to make the purchase. When we arrived, we found another buyer in the middle of price negotiations for the same RV. I immediately found the sales rep that I had dealt with and informed her that "I accept the deal" and "am here to sign the papers and make a down payment." Upon seeing me and hearing my conversation with the sales rep, the other buyer halted negotiations and accepted the price that the dealership was offering. They sold the RV to the other buyer.

Didn't I have a contract with the dealership? If so, are there any remedies I am entitled to? Since this just happened yesterday evening, the RV has not been delivered to the other buyer. I would appreciate a response in the near future so, if I have a case, I can contact the dealership before delivery of the RV is made.

BelizeBreeze

rvbuyer said:
Not even a verbal contract? Why not? I know I have offer and acceptance.
IF you had put down the deposit then you would have had 'acceptance'.

You did not.

in fact, your own words, "am here to sign the papers and make a down payment." is not binding on the other party when the other party has not accepted by explicit actions (signing the contract).

rvbuyer

Not sure it makes a difference, but I do have a copy of a purchase agreement that is signed by the dealership.

BelizeBreeze

rvbuyer said:
Not sure it makes a difference, but I do have a copy of a purchase agreement that is signed by the dealership.
then read it. we can't. and I won't comment on something I can't read.

rvbuyer

I have the front only - it's more numbers than legal verbiage. I'll get a copy of the back and post again if I have any further questions.

Thanks again for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">