• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

written offer but no joining

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ss.iimb

What is the name of your state?

TX

I have been offered a job on August 1st, a written offer was sent on Aug 2nd which I signed and accepted on Aug 8th via email and on Aug 16th in written. However since then, the employer is going slow and has been postponing my joining from its original date of Aug 22nd. It is already Sep 8th today - do I have a legal case against them? Some facts:
Position - Sales
Salary - $75K base + $45K variable + stock options + benefits
The company took 5 different interviews with VP sales, Head Sales, Head HR, COO & CEO.
I would like to teach them a lesson rather than join them after this insult. Please help.
SS

BelizeBreeze

ss.iimb said:
What is the name of your state?

TX

I have been offered a job on August 1st, a written offer was sent on Aug 2nd which I signed and accepted on Aug 8th via email and on Aug 16th in written. However since then, the employer is going slow and has been postponing my joining from its original date of Aug 22nd. It is already Sep 8th today - do I have a legal case against them? Some facts:
Position - Sales
Salary - $75K base + $45K variable + stock options + benefits
The company took 5 different interviews with VP sales, Head Sales, Head HR, COO & CEO.
I would like to teach them a lesson rather than join them after this insult. Please help.
SS
Of course you can sue them. Hell, I can sue them and I don't even know them.

But if you're asking do you have a contract lawsuit, the answer is no.

Whether or not the 'offer' rises to the level of a contract depends ENTIRELY on the exact working of the offer.

So, would you like to hold it up to the monitor so we can read it?

pattytx

Plus, "teaching them a lesson" is not worth the effort. Business requirements change. That could have happened here. Plus, what are you going to sue for besides "I'll show you"? What are your damages?

ss.iimb

I was planning to sue them for emotional loss. I have been unproductive with my current employer since I am planning for the future - where I was getting ready to work for a new employer. Also emotional trauma - cleared 5 interviews, got a written offer which I accepted and then this unexplained delay (emails from their HR are at best elusive, and mostly non-apologetic about this unexplained delay).
Does that make any legal case?

BelizeBreeze

ss.iimb said:
I was planning to sue them for emotional loss.
Are you THAT BIG of a pansie?
I have been unproductive with my current employer since I am planning for the future - where I was getting ready to work for a new employer.
And THAT is your own fault. I have ALWAYS given 100% until the day AFTER I leave the employer and it's damn sure what I demand from my employees.
Also emotional trauma - cleared 5 interviews, got a written offer which I accepted and then this unexplained delay (emails from their HR are at best elusive, and mostly non-apologetic about this unexplained delay).
And you cry when a puppy is run over in a film?

Get a frikkin' grip.
Does that make any legal case?
Not unless the judge is named Bozo and there are cameras in the courtroom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">