• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trapped!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ross5950

What is the name of your state? Nebraska
After working for a company for 14 years and telecommuting 9 years (I live 100 miles from my job), my boss has told me he wants me in the office full time because he "wants to see me". He changed my job duties as a manager to those of an assistant. He took away my assistant, gave me her entry-level jobs and gave her a raise. It's clear they want me out but don't want to pay the unemployment. I want to get out of there but I need the unemployment money. If I don't come into the office on my agreed upon date, October 3, I'm sure they'll fire me for insubordination and then, again, I'll be out the unemployment insurance. Any advice? Is there a way my situation will qualify for "just cause" if I quit? Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's *possible* that requiring you to commute 100 miles a day will qualify as just cause to quit, but ONLY an adjudicator for your state's unemployment office can tell you for certain.

It will be legal if they fire you for not coming into the office on October 3. Again, only an unemployment adjudicator from your state will be able to say if, under your state's laws, that is enough to disqualify you for benefits.

It sounds to me as if you need to be talking to your unemployment office.

Ross5950

Trapped

Thanks for your reply. I spoke with the unemployment office the other day and they were very evasive and couldn't give me advice or answers over the phone which is understandable. She said it was "possible" I could qualify but they would need to talk with my employer first. She said to come back and talk with her after I quit. Her answer didn't offer assurance to me and I really need some type of income. How about this...what would you do? #1) Quit. Or #2) Don't come into work the assigned day and say working in the office won't work for you and get fired? I'm guessing the fired option would qualify under insubordination, and again, I would be out the unemployment. What do you say?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have absolutely no idea how high the standard is in Nebraska for disqualification on the basis of insubordination. I can't make the decision for you.

Ross5950

I'm going to go with option #1 and quit. Whatever happens will work out for the best...right? Thanks for your input. Now, at least, I have a strategy and can go in prepared on the 3rd. Cheers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">