• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At a Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr Integrity

What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA

I currently work for a manufacturing company as a purchasing agent. Towards the end of July, my wife and I began considering to relocate to another state. I mentioned this to my boss and some of my co-workers in an attempt to be open and up front with them that I might be leaving in the next couple of months. I did not tell them I was leaving and did not give them any dates, other than that we would be taking a vacation in the next month or so to do some scouting in other locations. Within a week, they placed an ad an began interviewing for another purchasing agent. I was told by my direct boss that if I chose not to leave, then he would convince the owner of the need to keep all employees due to the workload (which is true!). 2 weeks ago, the controller came and requested that I fill out a form of resignation. I refused and told him that we had not made a decision to move yet and therefore had not planned on leaving the company. My wife and I are leaving on our vacation this week and I received a signed letter stating that my last day would be Sept 30 as stated by me when I gave notice in July in personal coversations with co-workers. This statement was signed by several high ranking individuals in the company stating that I had indeed gave verbal notice. Is there any way I can dispute this or is it just a case of my word against theirs? I did not give a verbal or written notice to any effect other than discussing upcoming personal options that my family might be looking into.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line here is that you should not indicate to your employer that you are thinking of moving on until you have a new job to go to. It's all well and good to try to be upfront but you've just seen what it can lead to.

For purposes of unemployment, you can dispute that you gave notice effective any particular date and therefore should be entitled to unemployment. It's a tossup which way it will go.

However, with regards to continuing to work there until you're ready to go, you're out of luck unless you are able to convince your employer to allow you to stay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">