• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Terminated or Just an Escape Goat for Bad HR Dept. ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brianpaul

What is the name of your state? Texas

I began working for this major pharmacy chain company in October 2003 in Flagstaff, AZ. I given the opportunity to transfer within the company to another Distribution Center in Waxahachie, TX in April 2005. All moving expenses were paid by the company. This was not a promotion and nothing was written in contract form show a promotion was coming in the future. However, I was told by my supervisor that he had chosen me to take this position because he felt I was next in line to take over the operation when that individual retires shortly. Everything was going smoothly until one day I was introduced to new hourly employee whom would basically be working in the same office with me on a daily basis. I had recognized this employee from working in Flagstaff, AZ. This employee must have moved out to Texas shortly after I had and found a job within the warehouse. When a position in the office opened for an hourly position this individual was given the opportunity. The position she took has a 45 day training/trial period in which his/her supervisor can determine whether the individual can permanently stay in that position. The thing is: this employee is a women that desires to be a man. I am not sure to what extent this individual has gone to make this happen, but she dresses in men's clothing (dress shirt and tie) to work. My wife whom worked in the loss prevention dept of this company has told me that this individual has created problems for other individuals in the past whom posed a problem for her. The DC in Flagstaff had to go as far as install a unisex bathroom for this individual to use, because problems had arisen with employees not wanting her to use the men's restroom. Long story short, I also have an issue with her using the men's facilities. I can't wake up one morning, put on a skirt and start using the women's restroom. Can I? I brought this to the attention of my manager, whom basically laughed it off as disgusting but nothing he could do. My next step was to go to that individual's manager and discuss the situation with her. This is where the sticky part comes into play. She didn't believe me at first and so I grabbed a erasable board marker and drew the lower half of torso and said "this is how she started" and then drew a v shape and said "this is how she wants to be".
The manager began to laugh and then asked why I was so concerned. I explained to her my position about the bathroom and how uncomfortable I feel to work so close to this individual. Two days later, I was questioned by Loss Prevention and then placed on suspension until further notice. Apparently the individual's manager went to the DC Manager and began to complain that she didn't know about this sooner and was told to keep her mouth shut and the rest of her employees that later found out and that they would go after me on the grounds that I made her feel uncomfortable by telling her. Keep in mind that, the individual in question never knew this was occurring and I had never commented to her about anything. After a week of sitting around the house, I was told by phone that I had two options: resign or be fired. Either way the company was offering to pay my two weeks vacation and one month severance pay. I was told that it wasn't what was said but the drawing on the board that did me in. I am curious to your response. :rolleyes: Should the HR Dept who had knowledge of this person, sat immediate coworkers done for a meeting and discuss some of the issues that may arise. Or did they just assume that nobody would know and forgot I came from Flagstaff, AZ and knew this individual?

Last edited:

texmil

sounds familiar

Hey, I work for a major company that sounds just like yours. It sounds like the big "wally world" scam... If it is... let me know, because my wife works for a firm who represents a lot of their former employees.

Kevin

BelizeBreeze

texmil said:
Hey, I work for a major company that sounds just like yours. It sounds like the big "wally world" scam... If it is... let me know, because my wife works for a firm who represents a lot of their former employees.

Kevin
Remove your post or PAY the required advertisment fee.

As to you brian, you have no case here. In fact, if I had been your supervisor I would have fired you on the spot. The company is well within their rights and legal responsibilities and they are correct, if you don't like that you are free to quit or resign.

OR option number three, have a civil suit for sexual discrimination filed against you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This was neither a wrongful termination nor your being put on the spot by a "bad HR department". Rather, it sounds as if your HR department knows far more about discrimination laws than you do.

I'm with Belieze; I don't know why you weren't fired on the spot. If your HR department slipped up at all, it was in failing to do so the minute you drew that torso on the blackboard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">