• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danielsims

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Mississippi

I have been working for my company for 23 years. Have always had meets or exceeds expectations evaluation until my last review. Now my performance has been challenged and I am being managed on a documented process. Today my boss did a follow up and suggested I resign. If I do not I will certainly be terminated within the next 2 weeks. I am wondering if I should consider his suggestion and what rights I would forfeit if I do so?

pattytx

If you resign, it will look better on your resume, but you may very likely not get unemployment benefits unless you can convince the UI agency that some type of quid pro quo existed, i.e. quit or we fire you. There also may be some benefits issues, such as not paying out your accrued vacation if you quit, vs. if you were fired, assuming that your employer does pay out accrued vacation upon termination and has such criteria in the plan.

danielsims

It was implied that there may be some severance involved if I offer to resign and also said there would be a form I must sign relinquishing certain rights. Asked that I send an email to him requesting info on what would be available to me if I chose to resign,also stated that I could not linger on this. Basically if I did not submit the request for info by Monday it was highly unlikely it would be considered. This was done on a Friday afternoon so there has been no time to seek legal advice.

BelizeBreeze

danielsims said:
It was implied that there may be some severance involved if I offer to resign and also said there would be a form I must sign relinquishing certain rights.
And unless that 'implication' is in writing, it's worthless.
Asked that I send an email to him requesting info on what would be available to me if I chose to resign,also stated that I could not linger on this.
And again, unless there is proof in writing (not an e-mail) from the company it's worthless.
Basically if I did not submit the request for info by Monday it was highly unlikely it would be considered. This was done on a Friday afternoon so there has been no time to seek legal advice.
Then you write them an e-mail asking for FULL details of the severence package to be delivered to you IN WRITING (not e-mail) so that you may consider their offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">