• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Workmans Comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

My Employer has no workman's comp. We are a small company and therefore in Florida he is not required to have it.
I have hurt my knee on the job and need to go to the doctor. My boss told me to go and have the bill sent to him.
My question is this.......If he does not pay this, then am I responsible for the bill or is there something that can be done to make him pay as this is a work related injury.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You ALWAYS have the bottom line responsibility for any bills you incur. What arrangements you and your boss have between you is exactly that; between the two of you. YOU are the one that received the services; YOU are the one that has ultimate responsibility for the bill.

If your boss legitimately does not have to carry workers comp insurance (and while that's possible in FL, you must be a VERY small company - I believe that all employers of four or more emplioyees must carry it in your state) then he does not have any LEGAL responsibility to pay the bill. A moral responsibility possibly, and depending on the exact circumstances it's not impossible that a judge might order him to pay it. But YOU are the one the medical provider will be coming to for payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">