• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Days Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amelvin

What is the name of your state? Texas

Husband is being required to work on his days off. He is in sales to the grocery industry. He's been working for six months straight with no day off. Previously, the company had people working the weekends to cover needs but not now.

I realize TX is an "at will" state. Is it considered job abandonment if he tells is boss he is not going to be working on his days off any more? He's on a base plus commission basis and usually works 12 - 14 hrs per day M-F and 6 hrs on Sat and Sun.

Even in an at-will state can he be required to work with no day off, ever? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not a matter of at-will vs. not at-will. It's a question of whether or not state law requires that an employee be given one day off out of every seven.

Texas does not.

So yes, if he tells his boss he will no longer come in on weekends, he can count on being fired unless he has a bona fide, enforceable contract that gives him exclusive right to determine his hours. I suspect that if this were the case, you would have mentioned it.

While you didn't ask this, I'm anticipating your next question. No, there is no limit to the number of hours per week Texas law permits either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">