• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied job because of gender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

THoliday

Mississippi
I am an 18 year old, African American female. I applied for a job as a delivery driver and was given an interview. I then brought in proof of insurance and was told that they have a full fleet of drivers and that there wasn't an opening. However, it's been three days and the sign that states, "Now Hiring Drivers" is still posted. I believe that I wasn't hired because the company has always has a delivery "guy" and not a delivery girl. I really need a job to help pay for school...I've applied everywhere. What should I do?

BelizeBreeze

THoliday said:
Mississippi
I am an 18 year old, African American female. I applied for a job as a delivery driver and was given an interview. I then brought in proof of insurance and was told that they have a full fleet of drivers and that there wasn't an opening. However, it's been three days and the sign that states, "Now Hiring Drivers" is still posted. I believe that I wasn't hired because the company has always has a delivery "guy" and not a delivery girl. I really need a job to help pay for school...I've applied everywhere. What should I do?
SUE THE *******S!!!!

Oh, by the way, what PROOF do you have that you were not hired because of race, sex (or lack thereof), national origin or any other protected status.

And do you have about $20,000 to START such a lawsuit?

Keep looking for a job and quit using your sex for an excuse.

THoliday

I'm not trying to start a lawsuit and if I had $20,000 I wouldn't need this job now would I? I don't have any demerits on my license, which I've had for 3 years. I don't have a criminal background. I graduated number 9 in a class of 347 and I'm not using my gender as an excuse. I just feel that they want a male driver. It's not FAIR!!!! That sign doesn't state "Now Hiring MALE Drivers"...it says, "Now Hiring Drivers"

BelizeBreeze

THoliday said:
I'm not trying to start a lawsuit and if I had $20,000 I wouldn't need this job now would I? I don't have any demerits on my license, which I've had for 3 years. I don't have a criminal background. I graduated number 9 in a class of 347 and I'm not using my gender as an excuse. I just feel that they want a male driver. It's not FAIR!!!! That sign doesn't state "Now Hiring MALE Drivers"...it says, "Now Hiring Drivers"
and nothing you have posted here is proof.

Did I hear you stomping your feet and holding your breath until you turn blue???? :eek:

Know What You're Talking About!

THoliday said:
THoliday:

I'm in CA, and I totally sympathize with you! I, too, am female, and when I was in my mid 20's (back in the '80's), after college I moved to an area where the primary industries were construction and manufacturing plants. I had an accounting degree and was looking for an entry position. I interviewed everywhere, and did well, except when it came to hiring me.

Everytime, these managers would say something like, "Look, you're a real good candidate, but I cannot hire you because I wouldn't be able to trust my guys to behave themselves around you. I don't need that kind of liability." Blah, blah, blah.

It took months to find a job--and even then, the only thing I could get was a job in an office attached to a manufacturing plant, as a RECEPTIONIST!

I'll tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would march right into that business and ask to speak with the manager (the one who interviewed you). Then, I would--politely--ask him why he would not hire me if he is still advertising for delivery drivers. If there is some requirement that he believes you cannot meet, like lifting a certain amount of weight, ask him to give you an opportunity to prove you can do the job.

The idea is to eliminate all his possible arguments against hiring you, so don't add 'attitude' to his list. Be firm, but polite. If he really is discriminating against you, make him ADMIT to it. That way, you will have a case.

Don't stop trying to find a job--keep plugging away. Who knows, your persistence may earn you some well-deserved respect!

Good luck! I wish you MUCH success, in college, and in finding work.

BelizeBreeze said:
Do I hear Oprah and violins? :rolleyes:
Wow, BelizeBreeze,

Does everything you post have to be so negative? What's wrong with giving someone a positive little nudge of encouragement?

Lighten up, already! :p

BelizeBreeze

Help34Friend said:
Wow, BelizeBreeze,

Does everything you post have to be so negative? What's wrong with giving someone a positive little nudge of encouragement?

Lighten up, already! :p
Because this is a LEGAL advice forum. Not a pat on the back touchey feeley forum.

And she has no case of discrimination based on the facts presented. The sooner she knows that the sooner she can stop blaming the world for her problems and find a job.

Veronica1228

BelizeBreeze said:
Because this is a LEGAL advice forum. Not a pat on the back touchey feeley forum.

And she has no case of discrimination based on the facts presented. The sooner she knows that the sooner she can stop blaming the world for her problems and find a job.
This is not a touchey feeley forum? I'm outta here! :p

THoliday

BelizeBreeze said:

Oh wow, this chick is very negative. Were you a bed wetter? Or maybe you were abused...whatever the case may be, you should really get to the bottom of it. I'm not blaming the world for anything. I'm a female, I'm black and I can't be mistaken for anything other than, AND I'm on a full academic scholarship. Don't know what world you live in, but in the real world that's 3 strikes against me from jump street.

Besides, it was a simple question of what to do; all you had to do was give me a simple answer. And what's all this talk about me having a case? I'm not looking to see if I have a case...just needed some advice. So, get it right, please and thank you.

BelizeBreeze

THoliday said:
Oh wow, this chick is very negative. Were you a bed wetter? Or maybe you were abused...whatever the case may be, you should really get to the bottom of it. I'm not blaming the world for anything. I'm a female, I'm black and I can't be mistaken for anything other than, AND I'm on a full academic scholarship. Don't know what world you live in, but in the real world that's 3 strikes against me from jump street.

Besides, it was a simple question of what to do; all you had to do was give me a simple answer. And what's all this talk about me having a case? I'm not looking to see if I have a case...just needed some advice. So, get it right, please and thank you.
O.K. here's some advice. Pull the corn cob out of your a$$ and quit using your sex and race as an excuse. And By the way, most of the people I knew on FULL Scholastic Scholarship didn't have a clue about the REAL world. That's why they hid in college letting someone else pay the bills.

Now, what's your NEXT excuse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know what kind of advice to give you, since nothing in your post is evidence that you were not hired because of your race, your gender, or any other particular reason.

You need more than just a feeling to take any kind of action, legal or otherwise.

It is by no means unusual for a company to neglect to cancel the sign or the ad that says they're hiring long after they have stopped.

THoliday

New Info...I had my friend guy to go in and apply for the position. He is a 20 year old, Asian male, with no previous job experience. He was given the job without even having a formal interview. So why was he hired and not me?

BelizeBreeze

THoliday said:
New Info...I had my friend guy to go in and apply for the position. He is 20 year old, Asian male, with no previous job experience. He was given the job without even having a formal interview. So why was he hired and not me?
and how do you expect US to know that?

You are still fishing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">