• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this application question legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erich5470

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I had just recently applied for a job and ran across a few questions on the application in which I though were odd questions to be asking on an employment application.
I was applying for a position in a tool & die shop as a quality inspector inspecting machined parts. There is no special security situation with a position like this. This is just a general employee labor position.

The employer has a stack of applications at the front door for applicants to fill out.
As I was filling out the application They asked for my social security number. Even before submitting it for an interview.

They asked me for they also asked me for any civil judgements which could be mis interpreted as child support obligations.
and they asked me about my financial obligations also.
I am just wondering if they are legally allowed by law to ask these questions?

Sincerely, EricH5470

drharlydlr

Eric, I'm a paralegal and have come across similar situations and this is what I do - when asked for SS# I write in "will provide upon hire" - it isn't illegal for them to ask, but I feel it is protected information and they don't need it to check your references etc. And as far as the other questions are concerned, they do seem to be out of line, but since I'm obviously not an attorney I don't know the legality of the questions. Perhaps they don't want to deal with any type of garnishment situation, or perhaps if they feel you are over your head in debt you may be more apt to steal from them. Sorry. :
(
erich5470 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I had just recently applied for a job and ran across a few questions on the application in which I though were odd questions to be asking on an employment application.
I was applying for a position in a tool & die shop as a quality inspector inspecting machined parts. There is no special security situation with a position like this. This is just a general employee labor position.

The employer has a stack of applications at the front door for applicants to fill out.
As I was filling out the application They asked for my social security number. Even before submitting it for an interview.

They asked me for they also asked me for any civil judgements which could be mis interpreted as child support obligations.
and they asked me about my financial obligations also.
I am just wondering if they are legally allowed by law to ask these questions?

Sincerely, EricH5470

mycarlb

When I applied for my last job I was asked ssn, dob, and marital status... It was a very small privately owned business, and I did as dr stated... I put "will provide ssn and dob upon hire"... I learned the hard way about identity theft, and for a privately owned business, I wouldn't give my vital info before hiring. You can never tell in this day...

However, some employers need your ssn in order to do background checks on perspective employees... that is perfectly legal

pattytx

However, most companies don't bother with the expense of background checks, for which they would need your SSN, for just interviews. That normally waits until they are ready to make an offer, or they make the offer contingent upon your passing the checks to their satisfaction. Then they ask for such identifying info.

Also, there are very few, if any, interview questions that are illegal in and of themselves. It's what they do with certain information that may become illegal. For example, if they ask you your age, that is not illegal. But if you are denied employment SOLELY because of your age, then that could possibly be illegal. Your problem would be proving it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">