• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeowners insurance Katrina victim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikey_39520

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mississippi - Long story short house is a total loss but still there. I have 3 seperate insurance policys 1.flood 2.homeowners 3.wind and hail - all diff. companies - called all insurance companies for claims and also reported looters running from property after my Brother went and took pics for us. Flood and wind policys should cover the mortgage to be paid off but we only have contents insurance with the homeowners policy.Even though there was looters, homeowners sais we can't prove what might have been stolen or destroyed and also sais they are not liable for anything, because everything that happened was due to the flood and wind policys. Our independant agent set these policys like this for a reason i'm sure but he also lost everything and is of no help to us. Can anyone PLEASE help. my email address is [email protected] and mikey_39520 for yahoo messenger. Thanks Mike M.

BlondiePB

mikey_39520 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mississippi - Long story short house is a total loss but still there. I have 3 seperate insurance policys 1.flood 2.homeowners 3.wind and hail - all diff. companies - called all insurance companies for claims and also reported looters running from property after my Brother went and took pics for us. Flood and wind policys should cover the mortgage to be paid off but we only have contents insurance with the homeowners policy.Even though there was looters, homeowners sais we can't prove what might have been stolen or destroyed and also sais they are not liable for anything, because everything that happened was due to the flood and wind policys. Our independant agent set these policys like this for a reason i'm sure but he also lost everything and is of no help to us. Can anyone PLEASE help. my email address is [email protected] and mikey_39520 for yahoo messenger. Thanks Mike M.
You and thousands of others will be dealing with insurance problems. You will need to start calling your state insurance commissioner and the governor's office. Please share the information with other's in the community who will have problems as well. Do expect insurance companies to pull out of these areas in the future.

Don't know how close to the coast your home was and how high was the flooding you experienced. When you rebuild your home, I suggest that you rebuild with building codes from Dade County, FL which are the toughest in the nation for hurricanes. FL is supposed to make these codes mandatory for the entire state. You can find the codes on line. Yes, it will cost more; however, these tough building codes can make a tremendous difference for the next time such a storm hits.

mikey_39520

katrina victem

BlondiePB said:
You and thousands of others will be dealing with insurance problems. You will need to start calling your state insurance commissioner and the governor's office. Please share the information with other's in the community who will have problems as well. Do expect insurance companies to pull out of these areas in the future.

Don't know how close to the coast your home was and how high was the flooding you experienced. When you rebuild your home, I suggest that you rebuild with building codes from Dade County, FL which are the toughest in the nation for hurricanes. FL is supposed to make these codes mandatory for the entire state. You can find the codes on line. Yes, it will cost more; however, these tough building codes can make a tremendous difference for the next time such a storm hits.
thanks for the info. Is there anything you can tell me about Homeowners Insurance? are they liable for anything because of the way our insurance was set up?

BlondiePB

mikey_39520 said:
thanks for the info. Is there anything you can tell me about Homeowners Insurance? are they liable for anything because of the way our insurance was set up?
I'm going to tell you something that you don't want to hear, Mike. When you signed those policies, you agreed that that was how you wanted your insurances to be set up. I do hope you have all 3 of your policies in your hands.

You did take the proper steps of contacting the insurance companies and talking with your agent. Now, you have to start calling the state. Y'all need to help each other out there. That means informing others of what steps need to be taken to resolve these insurance issues.

Perhaps you can take a leadership role for others in your community with information you acquire and hold some meetings while your local government is tending to other issues. The more residents complain to the state officials, the sooner the state will put pressure on insurance companies.

mikey_39520

Thanks for the info still need advice.

Just wondering how I and homeowners can prove theft/vandalizm when I can't even get into Bay st Louis right now.My brother inlaw saw looters but the place is already tore up? Hancock county was the worst hit - was just about knocked off the map and i just can't afford to go back right now to check when in Houston and gas being over 3.00 a gallon plus just can't leave family up here. I will call any and all authorities if my insurance companys do not treat us fairly. And by the way Blondie thanks for the info, If I can get the opp. to help anyone out I will do it.Maybe get a flyer passed out down there with all info needed to complain on the insurance companies. Anyway thanks again and if anyone else has any info they can give I would sur appriciate it,Mike

BlondiePB

mikey_39520 said:
Just wondering how I and homeowners can prove theft/vandalizm when I can't even get into Bay st Louis right now.My brother inlaw saw looters but the place is already tore up? Hancock county was the worst hit - was just about knocked off the map and i just can't afford to go back right now to check when in Houston and gas being over 3.00 a gallon plus just can't leave family up here. I will call any and all authorities if my insurance companys do not treat us fairly. And by the way Blondie thanks for the info, If I can get the opp. to help anyone out I will do it.Maybe get a flyer passed out down there with all info needed to complain on the insurance companies. Anyway thanks again and if anyone else has any info they can give I would sur appriciate it,Mike
Though you have a valid question regarding proving looting vs. content damage, why can't you just disregard trying to sort out the difference when you have a total loss?

You are welcome for the info. After you and thousands of others become victimized by the insurance companies, y'all will next be victimized by contractors and scam artists pretending to be contractors. These scam artists even hijack legitimate contractors company names and license numbers then print up fake business cards and contracts. Should you get organized with meetings, call in the local TV news and newspapers so that they can help get info out to residents.

Here's a website that you can look around on for info regarding contractors, scam artist contractors, etc. It's a FL website; however, you may be able to use the info and look into what's appropriate for your state. Too many people have lost their insurance claim money to scam artists. :(

www.myflorida.com

caspemi

Katrina Insurance Questions

We also had a home on the beach in Ocean Springs, MS. There is nothing left, no rubble, nothing but pylons. We also have 3 insurance policies, that is how they sell it down there. Our homeowners denied us within 15 minutes of our call. The flood insurance is working with us, but the amount you can get from them is no where near the cost of the home. We have not heard from the wind, but others have and are being denied...calling it a flood. My question is.. if we accept payment from the flood, does that disqualify us from getting anything from wind. The wind policy is double the coverage of the flood insurance and I don't want to accept the flood if it means we won't get anything from the wind. :confused:

mikey_39520

reason for legitamate question...

BlondiePB said:
Though you have a valid question regarding proving looting vs. content damage, why can't you just disregard trying to sort out the difference when you have a total loss?

You are welcome for the info. After you and thousands of others become victimized by the insurance companies, y'all will next be victimized by contractors and scam artists pretending to be contractors. These scam artists even hijack legitimate contractors company names and license numbers then print up fake business cards and contracts. Should you get organized with meetings, call in the local TV news and newspapers so that they can help get info out to residents.

Here's a website that you can look around on for info regarding contractors, scam artist contractors, etc. It's a FL website; however, you may be able to use the info and look into what's appropriate for your state. Too many people have lost their insurance claim money to scam artists. :(

www.myflorida.com
Hey Blondie the reason for wondering so much about this is flood has 10,000 contents,wind has 0 in contents coverage and homeowners has 56,000 in contents and 26,000 in loss Of Use but they are claiming none of my damage is covered under homeowners AT ALL. So if I am lucky the way homeowners puts it to me is try to get your limits from the other 2 because they are not liable for anything. But I will fight it all the way if I have to drive down there and go through every peice of rubble to see what is missing and I will also take it to all authorities and really cause a big stink!!!

mikey_39520

call homeowners back !

caspemi said:
We also had a home on the beach in Ocean Springs, MS. There is nothing left, no rubble, nothing but pylons. We also have 3 insurance policies, that is how they sell it down there. Our homeowners denied us within 15 minutes of our call. The flood insurance is working with us, but the amount you can get from them is no where near the cost of the home. We have not heard from the wind, but others have and are being denied...calling it a flood. My question is.. if we accept payment from the flood, does that disqualify us from getting anything from wind. The wind policy is double the coverage of the flood insurance and I don't want to accept the flood if it means we won't get anything from the wind. :confused:

Flood and wind will work it out together and fema will make sure part is paid by wind insurance because it is considered wind driven water. When FEMA slows down make sure they get in on it and also contact Mississippi department of insurance to check and make sure homeowners don't owe you anything. just make sure to stay on top of things and don't back down!!! Good Luck Mike

BlondiePB

mikey_39520 said:
Hey Blondie the reason for wondering so much about this is flood has 10,000 contents,wind has 0 in contents coverage and homeowners has 56,000 in contents and 26,000 in loss Of Use but they are claiming none of my damage is covered under homeowners AT ALL. So if I am lucky the way homeowners puts it to me is try to get your limits from the other 2 because they are not liable for anything. But I will fight it all the way if I have to drive down there and go through every peice of rubble to see what is missing and I will also take it to all authorities and really cause a big stink!!!
Okay, I get it and it's a real mess! Looks like a big stink is exactly what's in order which goes right back to my first post calling the Governor's office and complaining. Governor Bush fixed the multiple deductions for victims last year when they were affected by more than one storm.

When you find out information about this, Mike, please post it. As you see, there are others coming here to the site with the same problems.Last year there were so many problems with insurance companies here, attorneys even volunteered their time to help victims with all the insurance problems. That's something else to keep a "heads up" on.

rmet4nzkx

This issue was being covered on the news this morning. The big problem being people who didn't have insurance at all, people who only had wind insurance and no flood coverage because they were not in a flood plain or couldn't afford it. This is not a new issue nor is this limited to one type of natural disaster or any section of the country. Each state has their own insurance laws and regulations. Not only will the victims have to be continually wary of scams when it comes to rebuilding, but for those who don't have coverage or sufficient coverage, no employment, relocate and abandon their property will cause problems with forclosures or rebuilding at all. Expect that while the area may be rebuilt better in the future, there will be a number of vacant lots.

I thought it interesting that last week the Ray Nagin the Mayor of N. O. already bought a new home in Dallas. :confused:
Here is an article that has some info to MS residents suffering storm damage that may help, see the seciton on Blue roofs. Personal hint, if you return buy tarps or roofing plastic in other areas because it may cost ten times more in the affected areas.
http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09_10.html

BlondiePB

rmet4nzkx said:
This issue was being covered on the news this morning. The big problem being people who didn't have insurance at all, people who only had wind insurance and no flood coverage because they were not in a flood plain or couldn't afford it. This is not a new issue nor is this limited to one type of natural disaster or any section of the country. Each state has their own insurance laws and regulations. Not only will the victims have to be continually wary of scams when it comes to rebuilding, but for those who don't have coverage or sufficient coverage, no employment, relocate and abandon their property will cause problems with forclosures or rebuilding at all. Expect that while the area may be rebuilt better in the future, there will be a number of vacant lots.

I thought it interesting that last week the Ray Nagin the Mayor of N. O. already bought a new home in Dallas. :confused:
Here is an article that has some info to MS residents suffering storm damage that may help, see the seciton on Blue roofs. Personal hint, if you return buy tarps or roofing plastic in other areas because it may cost ten times more in the affected areas.
http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09_10.html
The people without any insurance will have to deal with FEMA and low interest loans. Too many people do not take out flood insurance because they don't live in a flood zone. I've seen more floods due to rain not from a hurricane.

The problem that Mike is having and thousands of others is which insurance policy will cover the contents of the home. The wind policy covers nothing and the home owners insurance policy (a different company) that has the highest amount of coverage for contents is disputing that they have to cover the contents because the contents were damaged by wind. And, then, the flood from storm surge was caused by the wind will be another way for the insurance companies to "stick it" to the insurers.

That's why the myflorida website was posted. This problem may have been encountered by FL residents last year and there may be info regarding this. Every insurer in the state of FL is being charged $68.00 - $100.00 surcharge for Citizens Insurance so that they can "recoup" the money paid out last year - even if one does not have Citizens as their insurance company. It's perfectly legal for Citizens to this.

FL defined price gouging as inflating the price of goods during a declared disaster as more than 10% of the cost of the goods prior to the disaster. That's just another thing that the governor can do.

Lastly, rmet, please start a new thread for the political stuff and let this one be for the victims now having problems with their insurance companies.

BlondiePB

Phone numbers for those with insurance problems

State Government Insurance Help Lines
Alabama Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line
800-433-3966
334-241-4141 (outside Alabama)

Louisiana Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line
800-259-5300
225-342-5900 (outside Louisiana)

Mississippi Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line
800- 562-2957
601-359-2453 (outside Mississippi)

Kalara

thank you - this is like gold!

Thank you for these numbers - I know a number of people who are having insurance problems, and these numbers will be so useful to them.

My home was badly damaged by Hurricane Dennis in early July so I have a 6 week start on you and will pass on some advice based on my experience dealing with insurance companies. I'm not a lawyer, so this is just friendly advice, worth at least what I am charging for it.

No insurance company will pay for anything without some kind of documentation of the loss specific to the item or items lost. If you are making a claim on your homeowners for looting you will need to give them a list of things you believe were stolen. I’d suggest filing a police report listing the same items as stolen. Don’t be dishonest, but no one can make a better guess at what you lost to looters than you can so try and honestly figure it out, make sure everything you can legitimately claim is on the list. They may not pay you for everything on the list, but they sure won’t pay you for anything that is not. In addition to the police report gather whatever evidence you can of looting, a list of witnesses or whatever you can.

Sorting it out with the wind and flood people can be painful, others have given you a lot of good advice here I will just add that you need to be sure and get a very complete list of all of your damages and claim them all, again you won’t get paid for anything you don’t ask to be paid for.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">