• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to Quit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckymarie33

What is the name of your state?Washington

I told my employer today that I was unhappy and would like to quit if he would not make some changes. He said he would not change anything and so I said that I would like to quit when I found a new job. We verbally agreed that I would have until the first of the year to find a new job. He then called me later tonight and said he wasn't firing me, but that it would be best for him if I quit now. He said he would pay me until the end of the month. That is not enough time for me to find a job in my industry. Can he force me to quit?? What are my options?? Can I change my mind about quitting?

BelizeBreeze

beckymarie33 said:
What is the name of your state?Washington

I told my employer today that I was unhappy and would like to quit if he would not make some changes. He said he would not change anything and so I said that I would like to quit when I found a new job. We verbally agreed that I would have until the first of the year to find a new job. He then called me later tonight and said he wasn't firing me, but that it would be best for him if I quit now. He said he would pay me until the end of the month. That is not enough time for me to find a job in my industry. Can he force me to quit?? What are my options?? Can I change my mind about quitting?
Of course he can. He can simply stop putting you on the schedule and accept your 'resignation' as you've offered. He is NOT obligated to allow you to stay until it's convenient to YOU.

BelizeBreeze

beckymarie33 said:
the resignation that I offered was for January 1st?
then he'd be the biggest idiot who owned a company to allow you to stay that long. He can come in tomorrow and tell you he is accepting your resignation and for you to go home and there's not a thing you can do about it.

pattytx

And this is not legal advice, this is career advice. Never threaten to quit if you're not ready to immediately be unemployed; nobody likes to be threatened. Never give 4 months' notice, there's no reason. Never (well, almost never) quit unless you have another job to go to.

Yeah, you can change your mind about wanting to quit. The employer can also terminate your employment today.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer has no legal obligation to allow you to choose your final date of employment. You resigned; he can accept that resignation any day he wants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">