• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my movie theatre fire someone for being short?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Morphx2

Can my movie theatre fire someone for being short on register?

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

Hi, I was just wondering if my movie theatre is allowed to fire someone for being short on their register. This is how their process works: You sell money at concession, every hour a manager in the money room comes to your register, counts it to himself, marks it down, then goes to the next person. You have NO idea how much they counted OR if it is correct. Now some people get fired for being short at the end of the night, but who knows if the managers take money or something for them to be short in order to fire them. I think their system is flawed and I would bet that they can be sued for firing someone for being short if they took the movie theatre to court because there is no proof that the person was in fact short. What they should do is have the cashier count the money as well and put their initials on the sheet where they write how much cash they have.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Veronica1228

Morphx2 said:
What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

Hi, I was just wondering if my movie theatre is allowed to fire someone for being short on their register. This is how their process works: You sell money at concession, every hour a manager in the money room comes to your register, counts it to himself, marks it down, then goes to the next person. You have NO idea how much they counted OR if it is correct. Now some people get fired for being short at the end of the night, but who knows if the managers take money or something for them to be short in order to fire them. I think their system is flawed and I would bet that they can be sued for firing someone for being short if they took the movie theatre to court because there is no proof that the person was in fact short. What they should do is have the cashier count the money as well and put their initials on the sheet where they write how much cash they have.

What do you all think?
Florida, like almost all states is an at-will state. This means that your employer can fire you for any reason that is not protected and you can quit for any reason. Therefore, yes they can fire you for being "short."

As an aside, I just want to add that I don't want to hear any short jokes from my friends now just because I'm answering this post. :p

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have to admit, before I opened the post I was trying to figure out how best to explain the legal complications in having a policy of employment based on height.

But no law prohibits your employer from firing you for coming up short, regardless of whether you had complete control over the drawer or not.

Now, if they were looking to you to REPAY them for being short, that would be a different story.

Morphx2

Haha, I guess I should adjust the subject :)

Thanks for the answers though, but I still think their system is flawed :-\

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may be. I'm not saying I approve of the policy, only that it does not violate the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">