• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice re: harrassment/being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendyrk

What is the name of your state? PA

I am seeking advice on behalf of my mother. She worked at an entertainment establishment for 11 years as a cook who also took the orders from the customers. Her boss (also the owner) one night was under the influence of alcohol and got mad at her for some reason or another and fired her on the spot in front of customers...repeatedly using the "f" word and putting her down. Since then, my mother has been severely depressed and has been unemployed. She was unable to afford medical care, so recently, I was able to help her out financially and get her to see some doctors. She was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and nerve damage which was a result of the shock she experienced from the night her boss fired her. I am wondering, does she have a case against him? :confused:

BelizeBreeze

wendyrk said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I am seeking advice on behalf of my mother. She worked at an entertainment establishment for 11 years as a cook who also took the orders from the customers. Her boss (also the owner) one night was under the influence of alcohol and got mad at her for some reason or another and fired her on the spot in front of customers...repeatedly using the "f" word and putting her down. Since then, my mother has been severely depressed and has been unemployed. She was unable to afford medical care, so recently, I was able to help her out financially and get her to see some doctors. She was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and nerve damage which was a result of the shock she experienced from the night her boss fired her. I am wondering, does she have a case against him? :confused:
Unfortunately no. Not for being fired. Even in the manner it was done.

She MAY have a claim of workman's comp if the employer had such coverage in effect during the firing but I'm not an expert on such so wait until Patty, Beth or CB come by.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She can try to file a workers comp claim but you need to be aware that such claims are rarely successful.

wendyrk

Thanks for your advice. I figured nothing could be done.

Pezstar, maybe you are a doctor, if so, maybe you could consult both of my mother's doctors who are treating her. I did not say being screamed at caused nerve damage. She experienced trauma (which you can experience from being fired in such a way) and from the trauma, she experienced nerve damage. Please do your research before making such opinions. Unless, of course, you know for a fact and are an expert, I apologize.

Beth3

wendyk, um, you don't get nerve damage from trauma unless it's physical trauma. Someone can experience nerve damage if they were badly beaten, for example. Your mother may be experiencing some mental health problems but that is not any form of nerve damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">