• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How many written warnings are required prior to termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisasha3

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I just recently (very suprisingly) was called into a 15 minute meeting and presented with a final warning stating I would be terminated by the end of the month. My question is - should I have been presented with a first or second written warning first or can they just go straight to this warning? Also, the reasons stated for termination in the letter were not in my objectives for the year. Can I call them on the fact that they are terminating me based on items that were not objective requirements this year?
I am not union and have no written "job responsibilities" outlined in a manual. (in fact I was in the process of trying to help them write one).

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No written warnings are required by law before an employee can be terminated unless they have a bona fide contract that specifies otherwise.

Nor does the law say that you can only be termed for reasons referenced in your year's objective. You can be termed for any reason not specifically prohibited by law or by a bona fide contract.

Nothing in your post suggests that there is anything illegal about your termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">