• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwamz13

What is the name of your state? MI

I'm having rental problems and would like some advice. I rented a tamper/plate-compactor for Saturday to do some work in the yard. I went to call the place to see what time it closed, and the yellow page had a big ad saying it closed at 6. So, I didn't call and I went to return the equipment at 5:30. The place was closed. Turns out they really close at 5.

Well, I had to borrow a neighbor's truck to get the equipment in the first place. The rental place was closed on Sunday's and my neighbor needs the truck during the week. I may have found a co-worker to help me return it today--Monday, but the rental place is threatening me will all sorts of fees and paying a daily rate until it is returned.

I want to do what's fair, but I am upset that they advertised the wrong closing time (the ad was dated July 2005--and they told me on the phone they had been closing at 5 for the past two years). I could have returned the equipment on time if I had known and saved myself (and them) all this trouble.

Should I pay them for three days of rentals (assuming I get it back today--Monday)? Or is it fair to pay them for only one day? Or something in the middle? What are the legal ramifications?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">