• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question of discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codbua

What is the name of your state? WI

I recently narrowed down three candidates for a vacated position, all of whom had the necessary qualifications for the specific position. Today while reading the local paper, I noticed that one of the names was in an article about local residents attempting to form a klu klux klan chapter in our community. An accompanying photo of the organizer confirms my suspicion. Is it lawfully wrong to discriminate against this person and count him out of being a contender for my position?

BelizeBreeze

codbua said:
What is the name of your state? WI

I recently narrowed down three candidates for a vacated position, all of whom had the necessary qualifications for the specific position. Today while reading the local paper, I noticed that one of the names was in an article about local residents attempting to form a klu klux klan chapter in our community. An accompanying photo of the organizer confirms my suspicion. Is it lawfully wrong to discriminate against this person and count him out of being a contender for my position?
Of course it is.

Political affiliation is NOT a protected status.

matti422

I think she means it is not a legal wrong to cut this guy from your short list due to his political views. Political affiliation is not a protected status (as race, religion and gender are).

Heck, once all candidates were equally qualified, you were probably going to based your decision on some sort of "warm and fuzzy" inkling, anyway, right? And concerns with whether or not this guy's political activism would interfere with his job duties or "fit" in the office are very legitimate.

Sockeye

Plus it shows and error in judgement if he participates in a public display that many would find offensive while on a job search.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">