• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A case of wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbkrivak

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Employers state - Michigan

(non-union, HVAC installer)
Employers reason for firing me "Its just not working out between us". had to ask him if that meant I was fired, he said "yes". No previous work related problems, such as poor workmanship, tardiness, etc.

In the 15 months of employment I went from $10/hr to $14/hr, and had no write ups, verbal warnings, manitory time-off etc. I received a $2.00 an hour raise 2 months prior to being fired, for doing such good work.

Filed for unemployment after termination and was approved, even after employer disputed it.

Did have problems with employer over 5 bounced paychecks and late paychecks, as it was starting to affect my credit with others.

Wondering if I have a case to sue him for wrongful termination?

Last edited:

JETX

bbkrivak said:
Wondering if I have a case to sue him for wrongful termination?
In order to be 'wrongful', it has to have been illegal. From your post, it wasn't. You have NO case.

Beth3

I agree with JETX. This was not a wrongful termination - not even close.

FYI, being awarded unemployment benefits does not mean your employer has acted unlawfully. It only means that you weren't discharged for a reason that would disallow benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Both Indiana and Michigan are at-will states. You can be fired for any reason or no reason; just not a reason that is prohibited by law.

"It's just not working out" is not a reason prohibited by law. Therefore, not a wrongful termination

For some reason, a great many people appear to believe that if they receive UI, that means that the employer acted unlawfully and that they automatically have a wrongful term case. That is not even close to being true. The vast majority of people receiving UI were termed lawfully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">