• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To MLane58

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diane36409

What is the name of your state?IL
This did involve a federal contract - it was an overseas contract to build a new embassy - my husband's employer was a sub-contractor and they did not have materials on the job to perform their duties. My husband arrived mid-stage into construction and was there for the final work on the project. Work had been done up to the point when they could not proceed any further without materials. When my husband arrived within 3 days they sent all of the other installers from the company back to the States as they did not have materials. They told my husband it would really help if he stayed behind and worked for the contractor and that the other guys would be back in a couple of weeks. My husband then worked in the capacity of an electrician and wired the secured floor of the embassy and when he finished with that was told to do HVAC work.Since my husband had not worked for seven weeks prior to going overseas (not by choice), he agreed to help out for what he was told was a couple of weeks. This turned into 6+ weeks with no reply from his company when his co-workers would be returning. The incident that the company claimed justified his termination was from the word of a foreign acting project manager who stated my husband had been rude to her and they had some work performance issues. Shortly before the altercation the lead installer and another installer had returned and I told the lead installer of the incident and his reply was "every man for himself". My husband never spent one minute on the job he was sent over to do. This was his first overseas job and the cultural conditions were harsh. The constant fear of armed militia, a project that was way behind schedule, cultural differences with management all made for an explosive situation. Seasoned installers all agreed that "no materials" meant they are off the job. The installers on the job when he arrived overseas had all been on vacation for the past couple of weeks and were paid "down time": before going back to the U.S. None of them were required to work for the contractor even though the project was way behind schedule. I half way suspect that leaving him alone was intentional and I wonder if there are any grounds for infliction of emotional distress and whether there are any grounds for slander against the Contractor. I know I sound like a whiner - but my husband's character is outstanding and this whole incident is just wrong. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It has been 10 months since his termination and he still cannot talk much about overseas. My husband is an ex-Marine and no softy but this trip overseas was traumatic and to lose his job over it was even more unjust.

mlane58

First off, was there an employment contract or just an employment offer letter? If there was an employment, then he needs to contact an employment attorney (one that has experience in the Services Contract Act and overseas contracts).

If it was an offer letter, then there was nothing illegal the employer did based on your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">