• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They made a mistake, I have to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jaybp

On October 6th, my University sent me a cheque for $900. I assumed that it was due to an increase in my bursary. The reason for this assumption is that in May, they sent me a cheque for $750, which I later confirmed was for an increase. However, they did not go out of their way to tell me that, they just sent it. So, when I received this cheque for $900, I simply assumed it was for the same reason. Now, over a month later, I receive a phone call saying that they made a mistake, that I should never have received the $900, and they expect me to pay them back. Am I legally obliged to do this? It has been over a month, I have obviously used a good portion of the money (who would leave a $900 cheque sitting around?). They are "kindly" offering to let me pay them back interest free and on some sort of monthly payment plan, but I don't think I should have to pay them anything. They screwed up, and they should have absorb the cost because of it.

Thanks in advance,
Jay P.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">