• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer vs. Dealer, defective product compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spoons

Hey all, I'm in Florida.

I recently purchased an engine from a dealer in Texas, and had it shipped to a shop here in Florida, where I paid almost a thousand dollars to have it professionally installed... only to find out that the engine doesn't work. It seized within seconds of operation (while still on the lift) and the mechanic states that it must have been an internal defect.

Now I'm trying to return the engine, but the dealer says it's not their problem, and won't accept it back. I purchased it through credit card, and so have placed a stop payment, since the company refuses to honor their defective products return policy.

My question is, is the dealer also responsible for compensating me for the almost thousand-dollar labor I paid having this defective product professionally installed?

Also, If I lose this battle for the engine cost, can it in any way adversely affect my credit rating?

Thank you for your help.

shortbus

What was the warranty on the engine? If you bought it "as is" you have no case but otherwise -- you may be able to make a claim (even under implied warranty of merchantability)

The thousand dollars installation fee would potentially be recoverable as consequential damages.

If you lose the dispute and don't pay, it's possible they'll refer it to a collection agency. But that has to go a long way before they'll file something negative on your credit report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">