• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

threatened termination for refusing to advertise on personal vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jagrjones

California.

I do a large amount of field work and use my own vehicle. My employer has recently required that I display a magnet on both sides of my vehicle while I work for them and threatened me with termination if I do not comply.

The vehicle is mine and I do not particularly want to put their magnets all over my fresh paint, what are my rights?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jagrjones said:
California.

I do a large amount of field work and use my own vehicle. My employer has recently required that I display a magnet on both sides of my vehicle while I work for them and threatened me with termination if I do not comply.

The vehicle is mine and I do not particularly want to put their magnets all over my fresh paint, what are my rights?

My response:

You have the right to quit, or be fired. Take your choice.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Would that be a reasonable reason to fire someone? No.

Would it be an illegal reason to fire someone? No.

If they fired you for this reason, would you have any legal recourse? No.

If you quit for this reason, would you get unemployment? No.

Your choice to make.

You Are Guilty

cbg said:
Would that be a reasonable reason to fire someone? No.
I fail to see why wanting your employees to be identifiable to your customers in the field is unreasonable. Heck, here in NY, having such signs are required by law.

Easiest solution = put a thin piece of paper/cloth under the magnet so it never touches the paint.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't say it was unreasonable to want him to use the signs. I said it would be an unreasonable point to fire someone over.

Zephyr

if they want their name visible while their employees are travelling and you don't want your car damaged for work purposes, why don't you stop using your vehicle and use theirs instead?

You Are Guilty

cbg said:
I didn't say it was unreasonable to want him to use the signs. I said it would be an unreasonable point to fire someone over.
Granted those were the words you used. But then your implication is that firing someone for refusing to comply with a reasonable (or legally required) act is unreasonble, which makes no sense. Insubordination is a rather common ground for termination, no?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry, I still don't see it as the hill I'd want to die on. If it's legally required in the poster's state, okay, I'll grant you that one. But I can't see myself firing an otherwise good employee because he objected to putting advertising on his car. I'm not saying I wouldn't discipline him; I'm not saying it wouldn't be noted in his file; I'm not saying it wouldn't affect his prospects for promotion. But firing? Sorry, I think that's overkill.

You Are Guilty

cbg said:
I'm sorry, I still don't see it as the hill I'd want to die on. If it's legally required in the poster's state, okay, I'll grant you that one. But I can't see myself firing an otherwise good employee because he objected to putting advertising on his car. I'm not saying I wouldn't discipline him; I'm not saying it wouldn't be noted in his file; I'm not saying it wouldn't affect his prospects for promotion. But firing? Sorry, I think that's overkill.
Heh, maybe I just have a short fuse. (Besides, who said the OP was an otherwise "good" employee? :D)

jagrjones

if they want their name visible while their employees are travelling and you don't want your car damaged for work purposes, why don't you stop using your vehicle and use theirs instead?
They do not provide me with a vehicle.

Beth3

Cutting to the chase, the job requires that you display your employer's signs on your vehicle while on company business. If you refuse to do it, they're free to fire you. It's just that simple. Poster, the choice is yours.

cbg, I gotta side with YAG on this one. If you owned a Pizza Hut franchise, you'd require your delivery drivers to put the Pizza Hut sign on the top of their cars when they were making deliveries and I doubt you'd be interested in making any exceptions. Obviously, it's great advertising. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Besides, who said the OP was an otherwise "good" employee?

But, YAG, he must be. Don't you know that everyone who posts here is the most hardworking, dedicated employee that anyone ever had. The reprimand or write up they post here about is always the first they have ever had; their evaluations are invariably of the best; they've never spoken a harsh word to anyone despite the fact that management asks more of them of anyone and treats them like dirt and favors everyone else?

How could you imagine that our OP is not a good employee? :eek:

You Are Guilty

cbg said:

But, YAG, he must be. Don't you know that everyone who posts here is the most hardworking, dedicated employee that anyone ever had. The reprimand or write up they post here about is always the first they have ever had; their evaluations are invariably of the best; they've never spoken a harsh word to anyone despite the fact that management asks more of them of anyone and treats them like dirt and favors everyone else?

LOL, good point. I suppose he should form some sort of support group with all those innocent people in prison. Hmm.

Sockeye

cbg said:

'tis truley amazing, isn't it? It's like this board is a beacon for only the best and brightest.

By the way, I afree and think it wrong to terminate under these circumstances. It should be a voluntary thing unless it's understood at time of hire, like pizza delivery, which is a service I appreciate far to much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">