• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poor workmanship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ybbed

What is the name of your state? Florida
In December of 2004 I had a carpet company installed 106 yards of carpet in a new house that we are building for our personal use. There was a seam in the middle of the main room, which is also a high traffic area. There are corners that a fraying and humps at the transitions going from til to carpet. They came back and redid the job and did the same thing. I was presented a bill for $2,500.00. On the invoice is typed "Sorry for the big screw up" I have told them to come and get their carpet. They have not. I am almost ready to move into my house, and am unsure how to proceed. The carpet may hold up 6 months, but the seam is going to continue to grow and the frayed corners will also get bigger. :confused:

JETX

Wow!! Thank you for your wonderful post. However, since this is a LEGAL advice site, it would have been nice if you had asked a LEGAL question in there somewhere.

ybbed

The legal question is "Am I liable to pay this bill, and can I replace this carpet and move in my house?

JETX

ybbed said:
The legal question is "Am I liable to pay this bill
Wow!! I have to buy a new computer. I just re-read, and re-read your original post and still don't see that question (or the following) in it.
In any case.... yes, unless you can negotiate some type of settlement, you have to pay their bill. If you don't, you will very likely see a lien slapped on your property.

and can I replace this carpet and move in my house?
Yep. Just have two or three carpet 'experts' be willing to testify as to the 'workmanship' and condition of the carpet, take LOTS of pictures, then yank it out. Pay the bill, then file a small claims suit against the installer (or if the installer is an 'agent' of the seller... against the seller). Have your carpet 'experts' appear and testify.... and with any luck, you will get a judgment.

Or you can go to a local attorney and ask him/her to contact the seller on your behalf and try to resolve the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">