• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for not speaking spanish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgavila

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Ok, in Jan. I heard about this job that was available @ my moms campus (A community College) So I took interest in the position because I was attending the campus as well. So I went for a interview and turned in a resume and got the position as 'program assistant' anyway I was terminated this morning and my boss said this "It was either you or Virginia (co-worker) and Virginia speaks spanish so...". So basically, I got fired for not speaking spanish even though I've been here much longer and have seniority. In any case I felt this was a wrong reason for termination. Is there anything I can do? your advice please!

John

jgavila

Oh by the way, When I got the job discription, there was absolutely nothing in there about speaking spanish

Thanks,
John

HomeGuru

jgavila said:
Oh by the way, When I got the job discription, there was absolutely nothing in there about speaking spanish

Thanks,
John

**A: there was no discrimination in your termination, if that is what you are getting at.
Furthermore, you would have gotten fired anyway due to your poor spelling, sentence structure and horrible use of grammar.

pattytx

They have obviously decided that speaking Spanish is now a requirement for the position. Doesn't make any difference that it was not in the original job description. Unless there is more to this story, your termination was not illegal.

Veronica1228

jgavila said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Ok, in Jan. I heard about this job that was available @ my moms campus (A community College) So I took interest in the position because I was attending the campus as well. So I went for a interview and turned in a resume and got the position as 'program assistant' anyway I was terminated this morning and my boss said this "It was either you or Virginia (co-worker) and Virginia speaks spanish so...". So basically, I got fired for not speaking spanish even though I've been here much longer and have seniority. In any case I felt this was a wrong reason for termination. Is there anything I can do? your advice please!

John
Virginia was chosen over you because she possess skills that you do not. This is additionally important if you live in a spanish speaking community. Sorry, but it sounds legal to me too.

Now if they said that Virginia was chosen because she is Hispanic....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the manager had said to you, "It was either you or Virginia, and you wore a red shirt this morning so..." it would still have been legal. He can base his decision on anything he wants except for either your or Virginia's membership in a protected group.

Speaking Spanish is not limited to those of the Hispanic race. Anyone can learn to speak Spanish, regardless of their race, gender or national origin. So whether one does or does not speak Spanish is not a protected characteristic and making employment decisions on this basis is not illegal.

It may or may not have been a fair way of choosing. It was not an illegal way of choosing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">