• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute on Overpayment of Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendy123

What is the name of your state?Washington
I was laid off from an employer on February and have been collecting unemployment along with looking for permanent work. I have also been signed with a temp agency to obtain contract work to help extend my benefits. This agency placed me in a work situation that turned out not to be work they described to me. The person I reported to was caustic, patronizing and required I do tasks outside the job as described to me. The agency wanted to know if that happened and were aware of previous issues with this client. I updated them about the conditions and have emails to back me up. By the third day, I knew that I could not stay there. I asked to not return and to work on another assignment. I was told there were other things so no problem. When I left on Friday, I did not have work to report on the following Monday, and the assignments mentioned as available never materialized. They were "closed out". There was nothing available at the time. So I went back on unemployment and continued to look for permanent work. Now I am being challenged for overpayment due to a voluntary quit even though this was a contract assignment that would've ended. I've had to fill out questionnaires to support my case and may have to repay benefits if denied. Do I have a case?

Last edited:

Beth3

I seriously doubt it. The reasons you cite for leaving do not typically (if ever) constitute "good cause" to resign and still be eliglble for UC benefits. You are free to file for a hearing with the State on the issue but I expect you're going to have to repay the UC benefits they say you were overpaid.

Sockeye

Our Evergreen State is a liberal one, but this will be a tough one. Likely they'll find that you should have waited until another position came open before ending this one.

Go through the motions anyway (nothing to lose) and please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">