• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked to step down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justwanttoknow

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois I was active in a volunteer organization working with children for the last 15 years. About (4) years ago I was charged with disorderly conduct due to a situation involving children being blown out of proportion at a restaurant with a playground. The case was dismissed due to lack of witnesses and I had the charges expunged. I told the leadership in the organization about the incident and one of them even went to court with me to be a character witness. I continued to work in the organization as though nothing had ever happened until recently. Someone who had heard about the incident at the restaurant (4) years ago went to the leadership and demanded that the incident be investigated by them now because they didn't think I should be allowed to work with children with that incident in my past. The organization cannot investigate the incident because all the records are sealed. What can the leadership say to this person to get them to leave me alone ? Do they have any obligation to investigate ? This person is demanding that I resign. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation ?

Beth3

The organization cannot investigate the incident because all the records are sealed. Sure they can. Only the court records are sealed. They are free to talk to you, talk to the restaurant, talk to any witnesses, and so on. After four years, it's going to be awfully tough to do any kind of credible investigation though.

What can the leadership say to this person to get them to leave me alone ? How about "The incident was reviewed at the time it occurred and we are comfortable with the decisions we made at the time. We consider the matter closed."

Do they have any obligation to investigate ? Not unless some licensing or regulatory agency that provides oversite (if any) requires that it be done.

This person is demanding that I resign. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation ? You really are going to have to wait and see whether the organization for whom you volunteer supports you and tells the person complaining to buzz off or whether they're going to take easy way out and ask you to resign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">