• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joa.

My mother-in-law died in September of this year. Her entire estate consisted of a checking account (less than $500) in both her name and mine, and two $1000 Certificates of Deposit in her name only. In her will I was named as executor. I went to the bank (with a copy of the death certificate and a copy of the will) and told them I would like to have them close out the checking account, cash the CD's and draw a money order for that amount - payable to the funeral home. They told me I would have to have a court order to cash the CD's. I went to the court administrator's office and explained the situation to them. The young lady there gave me an affidavit of _________. She told me to fill it out and have it notarized and that was all I would need if the estate was less than $20,000. I did as she said and took it to the bank. They refused to accept it - stating that they must have a court order. Since my daughter and I were her only relatives, the balance of the bill to the funeral director will fall on my shoulders. I really don't want to have to pay attorney's fees too. Is there any other alternative?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">