• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disabled by the system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?CA

A friend of mine was injured while working for a school district here in Hemet CA. Her job title and duties included janitorial work AND providing security after hours for a high school campus. The security aspect of the job evolved as she was recognized as being a good person to keep an eye on things, and she was allowed to live in a trailer on campus, even though this job description technically did not exist. While performing janitorial functions she severely injured her back (in 1994). She endured a couple of expensive surgeries (probably $100,000+ in today's $'s), physical therapy. She's rated 70% disabled.

The question she has involves the offers from the school district through their attorneys to settle the case. Despite the extent of her injuries, the initial offers from years ago were paltry, about $15,000. Since then, the offers have gone as high as $25,000. All of the offers are couched in glowing terms, like "you will now be able to manage your health care personally" which basically means that she will have to PAY for it personally.

Considering the extent of her on the job injury (she showed me a Gerber baby food jar filled with the hardware they eventually took out of her back), the pain and suffering she endured and continues to endure, and her 70% disability rating, she would like a second opinion, so to speak, I was thinking about $150,000, but I am not a disability attorney. The one she had moved to another town and left her hanging. Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">