• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlhenri

unemployment? UPDATE! NEED URGENT ADVICE!!!

What is the name of your state? IL

I received a promotion to manager in my company and given a very moderate increase in salary. I thought I'd prove myself in the new position and maybe it would be a topic of discussion at my yearly review. My yearly review was suppose to be last month, but has been postponed six months (because all managers are reviewed at the same time of year). I was now supposed to give a yearly review to one of the employees in my department. I was shocked to see that there wasn't much discrepancy between our salaries despite my years of experience and my position. To give him any raise at all would put him at an equivalent salary to mine. In order to give him a fair raised based on his performance I had to question my own salary, so I asked my manager for a raise.

Her response was that I was “not in the Game” and that I should come up with an exit plan and a time frame for when I would leave. I didn’t know what she meant and asked her what she thought. She told me that I could have a month if I wanted. I asked her what our parting would be considered. She said a layoff, she would get rid of the position. I told her that if she didn’t want me there and didn’t think the position was necessary, I would prefer her to lay me off immediately, because I would be uncomfortable being there. She agreed. ****ALSO*** She said to think about it and let her know the next day the time frame I'd prefer.****

The next day I sent her from home the following e-mail:
I feel this is very unfortunate. I enjoyed and would have liked to continue working at (company name). The position I’ve held for the past six months, Manager of Design and Production, I found had a significant increase in work and responsibly compared to my previous Graphic Design position. Though I enjoyed the challenge, I was hoping that you could acknowledge this in some way (salary, benefits, vacation, etc.) I find it very disappointing that you couldn’t even acknowledge me verbally and weren’t even open to any type of discussion. I feel that my history of hard work, my job performance and our good working relationship at (company name) did not warrant this so called “Your not in the Game” layoff. I appreciate your letting me choose the time frame for which this is to take place within the next month. Since you feel that I am “not in the Game” and don’t have an “entrepreneur attitude”, I think that I would be uncomfortable working in an environment where you feel my personality doesn’t fit in and my position is not needed. I am hurt that you feel this way. Please accept today (September 14) as the first day of my layoff.

To this e-mail she responded:
I wish you the best in all your future endeavors. I enjoyed working with
you and wish that you could have been happy here.

I applied for unemployment, but the HR department (as a personal favor) called me today and told me that my Manager said it wasn’t a layoff and was planning on contesting my benefits.

I’m frazzled. What just happened? Is this a layoff? Will I get benefits?

(Thanks for your time)

****Please see additonal info inserted above and below****

Now I received a call from HR today (as a personal favor and WARNING) saying that my manger (owner of the company's daughter) says that I have misunderstood – this would only be a layoff if I worked until the end of next month, wants me to understand they want me to come back and is planning a conference call to me for this afternoon.

Am I suppose to answer this? Am I suppose to go back? What about my unemployment insurance? HELP!

Last edited:

Sockeye

You understood it as a lay-off, she stated that she was going to remove the position.

She may contest it, but the decision is with the DOL office. When you're contacted for the hearing state it plainly and clearly what you shared with us and it's very likely you'll get the benefits.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">