• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claim Dilema

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Don Aubrey

I live in Ala.,I will be entering into small claims in GA. My contention is with an auto repair shop that is incorporated. Should I seek resolve against the corporation or the individual who owns the buisness? The amount I would be seeking is $2,000 plus cost. :confused:

JETX

Don Aubrey said:
I live in Ala.,I will be entering into small claims in GA. My contention is with an auto repair shop that is incorporated. Should I seek resolve against the corporation or the individual who owns the buisness? The amount I would be seeking is $2,000 plus cost. :confused:
And the CORRECT answer is:

Your post is confusing. If the shop is owned by a corporation (as you say) it CANNOT have an "individual who owns the business" (corporations cannot be owned by individuals.... they are owned by 'shareholders').

Sue the CORPORATION that owns the shop. Serve the lawsuit on the corporations 'agent for service'.

agent for acceptance of service
n. states require that a corporation name an actual person (usually in the articles of incorporation or other filing with the Secretary of State) who is authorized to accept service of any lawsuit or claim against the corporation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">