• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright law,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrMidwest

I'm wanting to write a book. Actually, I want to compile it more than write it. The book would consist entirely of copies of newspaper articles from several different newspapers across the land, local and national, about whatever stories I choose to write. The idea is for the reader to watch the story unfold page by page as it truly happened, with only the reported facts on the newspaper as their source.

Example; If I wrote a story about Billy the Kid, I would find newspaper articles relating to the Lincoln County, New Mexico area that related to that time frame. I would start with the Lincoln County problems and go from there with the murders involved in the Lincoln County wars. I could end it with the article on Billy the Kid's death, or even with the Brushy Bill Roberts claim in the paper to be the survived Billy the Kid. Whatever. The entire book would be compiled with article after article, listed in the order that the events occurred.

I'd also like to try this idea with current events; Example, the current national election.

Would I be violating copyright laws if I published such a book? The authors, photographers, and the newspaper publications would obviously get all the credit for the articles and photos involved, but I would probably be publishing the story without the permission of the newspapers. I suppose I could ask for expressed written consent. Would that make it legal? Or is a newspaper considered public domain?

H

HomeGuru1

You would need copyright approval from each newspaper since all are under US copyright.

Signed,
Billy the Kidd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">