• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trade Secrets??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mhami

I hope this message does not come across as vague, but I don't want to give away my great idea.

I have an idea for a computer program. Although I don't have the skills to create the program, I am already collecting my data by using an Excel file. My concern however, is that my idea may divulge a trade secret. In summary, the program would give the user information that is stored in a database when prompted by certain input. It is that certain input that may be concidered a trade secret. It is something that is used widely amongst the industry and known to employees. However, even employees may not know all the details of this item. Most people know of this item, but do not know what it entails. The reason that I know of this item is because I used to be employeed by a business who uses this item and I found the exact details of what it entails on a website. Now, I want to make it available to the public.

Can I be anymore vague or secretive? I hope that I offered enough information. Probably not, but does this sound like a trade secret if I was able to obtain the information off the internet? Would I be able to contact the sources that offer the information to the industry and find out from them if it is considered a trade secret?

I appreciate any input,

Marianne

H

HomeGuru1

Even Mr. Bill Gates would not know what you are talking.

M

Mhami

HomeGuru1 said:
Even Mr. Bill Gates would not know what you are talking.
LOL! Ha, ha, ha! That is what I figured.

Thanks for the laugh.

Marianne

H

HomeGuru1

Hey babe, you bird dropping questions were easier, yes, to give scoop on the poop. I still grin over those colorful photos.

W

wja4507

Me again, (see your other message). Once something is publicly known, it is never ever again a trade secret. Even if you came across it through "improper means," you would not be liable for misappropriation. That's an overall statement. The availablity of what you have and the nature of the material and market and how you retained the information is factually intensive, and may bear on the truthfulness of my supposition (see - I can be vague too!)

Adios!

None of the above would even be considered legal advice by someone of sound mind and conscience, therefore, you shouldn't determine it as such either. :)

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Query understood; however, I personally would need to know more information in order to answer your questions. You're on the right track, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">