• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fraud question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luciano

Can anyone tell me the legal definition of fraud? I have had a complaint filed against me by someone who ordered products from me, paid and was shipped part of the order. Then there were some unexpected supplier delays and I nnotified the customers and offered refunds. I made full refunds to those who requested them and let them keep the items that had recieved. I would really like to know what exactly fraud is. The dollar amount of the orders is $50 or $100 per person and the total for everyone is approximately $3000. Thank you.

E

eadelman

Definition of "fraud"

The actual definition of "fraud" depends on the state the transaction took place in. However, there is always one element which must be present for there to be fraud: there must be an intent to defraud. In very general terms, that means there must be an intent to deprive the victim of property by false means. Under the facts you give, there was no such intent; therefore, if you can prove those facts, there is no fraud.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

In law, sometimes words are defined and sometimes claims are comprised of elements. Fraud is more a claim than a word, comprised of elements. Check Black's Law Dictionary or a hornbook. I am hesistant to list the elements here off the top of my head because I don't want to provide erroneous info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">