• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bath & Body Works Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cryix47

What is the name of your state?VA

I had a part time job at Bath & Body Works for an extra discount. Today when I went in the LP guy that was in charge of my store asked me to come to the back to talk to him. So I said what the hell and go back and talk to him. He then starts going on and on about the issues at my store and that there was a big internal problem. Then he starts saying did you go the Timberland store in the mall to buy some boots. I said no... Why you ask. He says well a credit card was stolen here and you took it to Timberland to buy boots. I looked at him like he was nuts. I continued to deny it and then he goes well the signature used looks just like yours. Im like well I still didnt go there and use someones credit card to get the boots. He then says are you sure... And I said yes so after that he dropped the credit card thing. Then he asks me if Ive ever taken anything from Bath & Body Works and I said only samples without letting a manager know. I mean is this really stealing? Samples are free. Then he says are you sure and then I said well I took home a lip gloss on accident because I put it into my pocket and was going to make a tester out of it for the customers and forgot about it because there were so many people asking questions about products. He then says how much was it? And I said $10.00 he then says would you like to pay for it to make things better. I said sure why not. I spend hundereds of $$ there buying stuff. He then calls this number and says I have a payment for you. He then puts me on the phone with the lady that was going to take the payment. She asked nothing about what the payment was for or anything. He then had me write on a piece of paper that I stole something and that I was sorry for it and that I paid the purchase price of it to fix the situation. He then had me sign it and that was it. Then he called the store manager on the phone to see what she wanted to do about my employment. He then comes back and says shes on the phone and wants to talk to me so I pick up the phone and she says your terminations is affective immediately. I said ok and hung up. The LP person tape recorded the entire conversation. When I left he walked out with me and said that everything is cool now with the Limited Company and you. So I said ok and that was it.It was an accident and I paid for it. Do I have a solid case to sue their asses based on harassment? The LP person had me in the room alone with him,so everything that was written in that room is a hersay because there was no witness.

Beth3

And I said yes so after that he dropped the credit card thing. Then he asks me if Ive ever taken anything from Bath & Body Works and I said only samples without letting a manager know. I mean is this really stealing? Yes. You took those samples without permission. It doesn't matter that they were samples - they didn't belong to you. Samples may be free to the customers but they're not free to your employer.

Then he says are you sure and then I said well I took home a lip gloss on accident because I put it into my pocket and was going to make a tester out of it for the customers and forgot about it because there were so many people asking questions about products. As soon as you realized what you'd done, you should have returned it or paid for it.

Do I have a solid case to sue their asses based on harassment? You don't have any case to sue them for anything. You admitted to the LP person that on multiple occasions you took store merchandise without permission or without paying for it. Nothing you describe remotely constitutes any form of harassment.

The LP person had me in the room alone with him,so everything that was written in that room is a hersay because there was no witness. This isn't hearsay. (a) The conversation was tape recorded, and (b) you admitted all the times you took company property out of the store again here.

HomeGuru

cryix47 said:
What is the name of your state?VA

I had a part time job at Bath & Body Works for an extra discount. Today when I went in the LP guy that was in charge of my store asked me to come to the back to talk to him. So I said what the hell and go back and talk to him. He then starts going on and on about the issues at my store and that there was a big internal problem. Then he starts saying did you go the Timberland store in the mall to buy some boots. I said no... Why you ask. He says well a credit card was stolen here and you took it to Timberland to buy boots. I looked at him like he was nuts. I continued to deny it and then he goes well the signature used looks just like yours. Im like well I still didnt go there and use someones credit card to get the boots. He then says are you sure... And I said yes so after that he dropped the credit card thing. Then he asks me if Ive ever taken anything from Bath & Body Works and I said only samples without letting a manager know. I mean is this really stealing? Samples are free. Then he says are you sure and then I said well I took home a lip gloss on accident because I put it into my pocket and was going to make a tester out of it for the customers and forgot about it because there were so many people asking questions about products. He then says how much was it? And I said $10.00 he then says would you like to pay for it to make things better. I said sure why not. I spend hundereds of $$ there buying stuff. He then calls this number and says I have a payment for you. He then puts me on the phone with the lady that was going to take the payment. She asked nothing about what the payment was for or anything. He then had me write on a piece of paper that I stole something and that I was sorry for it and that I paid the purchase price of it to fix the situation. He then had me sign it and that was it. Then he called the store manager on the phone to see what she wanted to do about my employment. He then comes back and says shes on the phone and wants to talk to me so I pick up the phone and she says your terminations is affective immediately. I said ok and hung up. The LP person tape recorded the entire conversation. When I left he walked out with me and said that everything is cool now with the Limited Company and you. So I said ok and that was it.It was an accident and I paid for it. Do I have a solid case to sue their asses based on harassment? The LP person had me in the room alone with him,so everything that was written in that room is a hersay because there was no witness.

**A: you have no case so take another bath.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I just love the pretzel logic people in the Dufus States use! It's extremely entertaining. And, can't you just hear those gears meshing? It's funny!

I wonder how long it took this Dufus to think this through?

IAAL

grasmicc

" You don't have any case to sue them for anything."

Actually, this is going to depend on how closely the store's LP work with law enforcement agencies for the purposes of "catching" shop-lifters. If, and only if, they have a close relationship with law enforcement (which wouldn't be uncommon), then OP could sue under the civil rights act for violation of 14th amendment in the course of this "investigation".

"This isn't hearsay."

Actually, tape recordings of conversations ARE considered to be hearsay (in most jurisdictions). This may appear to be counter-intuitive. However, with a sophisticated understanding of the hearsay rule and its purposes, it begins to make sense. This is actually pretty important because it means that this evidence would be inadmissable at (1) a criminal proceeding. (2) an unemployment insurance hearing.

"(b) you admitted all the times you took company property out of the store again here."

This has nothing to do with whether the original comments to store LP would be hearsay if presented in a judicial proceeding.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">