• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business in my name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mojak1701

My parents were supposed to have purchased a business together and now my mother wants to check and be sure that she is still listed on the business legally. How does she go about doing this? In Texas.

O

oldcpa

Please indicate whether the business is a corporation, family partnership/LLC/LLP or a proprietorship.

If it is a corporation, then she needs to look at the stock certificates. If it is a non-corporate entity, it will be significantly more complicated.

Since you are in a community property state, I assume that community property was used to purchase the business. If so, it is my understanding that each spouse has a claim to an interest in any property acquired after marriage regardless of who's name is on the titles.

Since I am not an attorney, you will need to consider this post as not being authoritative.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">