• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My responsibility as title owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

droepenack

The name of my state is Wisconsin. My 32 year old son asked me to put my name on his car title. The company he works for gave him a loan to buy the car. He has full coverage insurance. What are my responsibilities and liabilities for having the car title in my name?

divgradcurl

droepenack said:
The name of my state is Wisconsin. My 32 year old son asked me to put my name on his car title. The company he works for gave him a loan to buy the car. He has full coverage insurance. What are my responsibilities and liabilities for having the car title in my name?
You could be liable in the case of an accident caused by your son. Having your name on the title increases the risk of you being liable for an accident -- what do you get out of the deal to make the risk worth it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">