• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued, don't believe I owe, whats your thoughts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rebeldx

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Ok the setup is rather long, I'll put it in here for relevancy though.

Me and my ex roommate had a little convenient way of paying bills when we lived together. I would pay the rent, he would pay the bills, and we would subtract the difference, he would owe me the remaining amount. The rent came to $1000 a month, and I payed for my girlfriend, so his share of the rent was a consistent $330. If the total of utility bills was $200, he would take 2/3 out of that, subtract it from the $330 and pay me the remaining.

Well, the last month we lived together, he didn't pay me the $330 at all, and bills were steep that month, totaling $200 after he paid his share. He demanded that I pay directly to him the $200, I didn't think it was fair due to him not paying the $330, which seemed acceptable at the time. Now he informs me that he's suing me for the past bills that I did not pay, even though he did not pay either. Although I have record that he has only paid 10 months out of the 11 that we lived there, I don't think its concrete enough for court, but he has no concrete proof of paying them or me owing either.

I could try to settle this out of court but he is a little stubborn and wont go for anything except trying to screw me (again), if anybody out there has any thoughts or experience with something of the same nature, I'd really appreciate your help, I'm really trying to keep myself from getting screwed. Thanks in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">