• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrawing from a car contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alfredop

What is the name of your state? Texas

My spouse and I visited a car dealer yesterday in the afternoon. The sales representative showed us a vehicle that we really liked, explained that it was under warranty, and we proceeded to the paperwork for credit approval. After some time, we signed the contract according to the base-price that we agreed upon, but I was surprised that there was an additional charge for "Service" which they explained was for the warranty.

Today, I contacted a different dealer to check and I was explained that the warranty on the vehicle should have come at no cost. I was "tricked" by the dealership.

My question is: Would I be able to withdraw from this contract? It has been less than a day, and at this point we have not submitted the down payment we agreed to take to the dealer today. Also, we haven't been provided a copy of the contract signed by both parties yet.

I am very upset about being charged for warranty given that it should have been included in the base price of the car. This was our first experience ever purchasing a vehicle (pre-owned).

shortbus

Another dealer's opinion on how HE would've done it doesn't prove anything about your situation. You admit that you signed the contract after seeing the separate 'Service' charge. It would be hard to argue you were "tricked" unless your salesman told you at some point the warranty was *included in the price you negotiated*, and then switched up the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">