• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good Faith in At-Will State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ardisinsc

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I am being terminated after more than 4 yrs of satisfactory employment. Although I have not been given a reason, I believe it is due to a personality conflict with a long time part-time employee who disagrees with my way of ordering supplies for the office and the way my suggestions for making positive changes within the office are approved and accepted by our supervisors. I became 65 years of age this year and must continue working for as long as possible. What are my legal options?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are correct and it is due to a personality conflict, then your termination is not illegal. Unfair possibly; illegal no.

ardisinsc

Sadly Legal but Morally Wrong

SC Your reply confirms what I believed would be true -- what is often legal is just as often morally wrong. This employee has practically come to "blows" with others over the years; however, due to her specialized duties she has been able to have her way within this small professional office. It is just interesting that I am being terminated just after my 65th birthday. The others, who are younger, have managed to keep their positions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you feel that you have an age discrimination claim, you are free to contact the EEOC about the issue. However, I see one major problem with your claim, and that is that you have only worked for the company for four years. Since you were 61 when you were hired, it's going to be difficult for you to claim now that they had a problem with your age.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">