• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

let go with no warnings, HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c_jill878

What is the name of your state? AZ Can someone please tell me if an employer can fire and employee without any warnings? If you are out sick and you miss a number of days, they first give you a warning. Then you get a second warning and final and then termination. This is what they state will happen. If this did not happen can they still fire you? I am also 4 1/2 months pregnant and just got insurance. Because I was let go I no longer have insurance. I really do not know what to do if anything. Please help. :(

pojo2

You do not state you were out sick.

But basically you can be let go because you use pink lipstick instead of mauve absent discrimination issues and contractual agreements.

pattytx

You might have an FMLA violation here. Need the following questions answered?

How long have you worked for this company?
Did you work at least 1,250 hours in the last 12 months?
Does the employer have at least 50 employees at this location, or at least 50 employees within a 75-mile radius of this location?
How much time did you miss on this last incident? Over the last 12 months?

lexi48

Fired without warning

KS By law, you are intitled to have COBRA. The co. will send you some papers for you to fill out and return. Basically, if you have insurance thru work, you pay a portion of it in most cases. The co. picks up the rest. The co. gets better rates usually by insuring a number of people. For COBRA, you pay the total amount the company pays for your insurance. You make payments monthly to the company. You can carry COBRA for up to 18 months. I would seriously consider doing so. If you chose not to, you can be out of insurance for 63 days. After that if you get a job you could be prexed. Some companies will just give you insurance without looking for any pre-exsisting conditions Good Luck!

BelizeBreeze

lexi48 said:
KS By law, you are intitled to have COBRA. The co. will send you some papers for you to fill out and return. Basically, if you have insurance thru work, you pay a portion of it in most cases. The co. picks up the rest. The co. gets better rates usually by insuring a number of people. For COBRA, you pay the total amount the company pays for your insurance. You make payments monthly to the company. You can carry COBRA for up to 18 months. I would seriously consider doing so. If you chose not to, you can be out of insurance for 63 days. After that if you get a job you could be prexed. Some companies will just give you insurance without looking for any pre-exsisting conditions Good Luck!
And what d6es Kansas law have to do with a post from arizona?

lexi48

KS. Nothing, but as long as you are not working for the Federal Govt. or certain church based employer and has 20 or more employees, they have to offer it. It has nothing to do with what state you live in. It is a law passed by Congress in 1986.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since no one has answered the basic question, yes, you can be fired with no warnings. No Federal law and no law in any state requires that an employee be given any warnings before they are terminated. Nor do I think we will ever see such a law, since that would mean that an employee who punched a co-worker in the nose or who was caught with his hand in the cash drawer and his pockets full of cash, would have to be given a warning before he could be fired.

Unless you have a bona fide contract that guarantees that progressive discipline will happen in each and every case, which is unlikely for the reason above, the company may generally bypass one or more steps in the disciplinary process.

Since you have not indicated why you were let go or how much time you missed, it's hard to give you any further information. Although if you would answer Patty's questions it would help.

Lexi48 is correct that COBRA is required unless you were fired for gross misconduct or your company has less than 20 employees. They do not, however, have to give you your COBRA info immediately - they have up to 44 days after the end of employment/insurance coverage to provide you with the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">