• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Safe guard myself from mover

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsbrouk

What is the name of your state? VA

I plan to move from VA to Canada. I have found a man who will drive the loaded UHaul truck for me. What can I do to make sure that he delivers all of my things to Canada as promised? Is there a contract that I can have him sign that will hold him liable? Is there insurance that I can take out in case anything happens? I'm just not sure where to start with this. I can't afford to have a commercial moving company so this is the most cost effective option for me.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

shortbus

If I were a driver I would not sign such a contract. Suppose he gets carjacked (truckjacked?) Then the 'contract' would make him liable for the damages, even though it was no fault of his own.

If you want insurance, you should contact whoever carries your renters/homeowners policy and ask what it costs to cover it.

mrsbrouk

Re

I'm asking how to safeguard MYSELF. How can I make sure that I am insured against such occurances. I need to make sure that I get my items to my new home or get compensated if they don't.

shortbus

To repeat: If you want insurance, you should contact whoever carries your renters/homeowners policy and ask what it costs to cover it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">